Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Candy Apple Wheat

Old 11-07-2006, 04:38 AM   #1
jezter6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Nov 2006
DARLINGTON, MARYLAND
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

I've read a few ideas about some apple beer, but I'm looking to brew a candy apple wheat. Maybe not this fall, as I'm trying to get the kit recipe beers down to make sure I'm not a total screw up, but I'm soon going to be interested in just taking recipes and going with it.

has anyone had any experience in brewing a candy apple wheat, or any candy apple beer in general?

After reading the monster cream ale thread, and a link to a apple ale kit, I think between the two I could kitbash something together, but I was hoping that one of you had some experience and/or a recipe to help me out.

Thanks a bunch...

Old 11-07-2006, 06:22 AM   #2
Monk
Recipes 

Mar 2006
The Command Center
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I guess I've fooled around with this a bit. A while back there was a sale on cider kits and I got 4 of them. I made one last summer. It was decent tasting, but I way overcarbed it and it actually made my stomache hurt.

Well, it's been long enough to forget the pain, so I brewed up a combo batch this time. It had two cans of the cider mix, one can of wheat LME, and a bunch of brown sugar. To top it off I added a bit of cinnamon. The idea is to let it condition until Christmas. So far, it's finished fermenting and the SG is down to about 1.005. I gave it a wee taste and it tasted tart, sweet, and powerful. Honestly, in the hustle and bustle of getting the wort into the carboy, I forgot to talk an OG reading. So I really don't have much idea of the abv. it'll be a happy surprise, I'm sure.
Good luck with your experiments. I'll post again when I taste it finished.

monk

Old 11-07-2006, 06:34 AM   #3
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Southwest
Liked 808 Times on 512 Posts

Perhaps a strange idea, but try combining EdWort's Apfelwein recipe with a cherry wheat of some sort. At the very least, the TreeTop juice he uses might prove cheaper and/or better than a cider "mix."