Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Late Addition and Formulation
Old 01-16-2010, 07:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Late Addition and Formulation

So I wondered about my witbier being a bit golden in color, but attributed it to burning a bit of the extract on the bottom of the pot... Now I know that indeed I did scorch the extract but also that partial boils result in some caramelizing of the extract but that you can circumvent this with "late addition" of a portion of the LME. From what I understand if youre doing a 2.5gallon boil and have 6lbs of extract, you add 3lbs (50%) of the extract at the normal initial boiling point, and then stir the rest in around 5mins from the end. (50% of the LME in first because your 2.5 gallon boil is half of the 5 gallon batch, so boil half and add the other half "late")
So I've already decided to try this method with my next batch, but now what I also need to know is how late additions affect beer recipe formulators. I use BeerCalculus and can adjust the boil size to vary hop utilization and such, but if I use late addition do I just formulate as usual and do the late addition? Will the approximated stats be off? The algorithm assumes I'm adding all the extract at once so I don't know how or if I need to compensate by changing the boil size or anything... thoughts? tips? threats? complaints?