I'm probably not using good judgment, but I want to try out a few new things at the same a time:
1) This is my second batch (after trying a couple not so great batches about 15 years ago).
2) I want to try dry hopping for the first time (because a buddy gave me some leaf hops from Oregon).
3) I want to try to cold crash the secondary.
4) I just bought myself a Tap-A-Draft system (as a favor to my wife for my birthday) and want to use it.
And on top of all that, because I was too excited and not really thinking, when I started brewing this batch (a winter warmer with a wyeast smack pac), I started the wyeast with boiled sugar water instead of DME (because I didn’t know what that was!).
Anyway, I left the primary alone from 11/1 till 11/21 (after a few consecutive hydro readings), then transferred to a secondary. It tasted really sweet… too sweet, but otherwise kind of nice.
Its now 12/04 and I'm not sure when to start the dry hop because I only want to have them in the secondary for a week, and whenever I swirl the secondary it starts bubbling again for a while.
So now I’m looking for some guidance…
1) When should I dry hop and for how long?
2) When should I cold crash and for how long?
3) How should I prime for the TAD bottles (and whatever is left over for glass bottles)?