Peppery Taste Low-Quality Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mew

Reaction score
Whenever I make a hoppy brew, it tastes really nice and citrusy for the first week or two, but then it starts to fade in a peppery/spicy taste. I've noticed it especially with Cascades. How do I stabilize these flavors? Is it simply poor ingredients? I love hops and I must get this right.

If you are kegging you can always toss in some dry hops. Works wonders for me. If you bottled than pick up a vial of hop oil from freshops.com or other resource and add a few drops to your glass. You can also experiment with different hops if Cascade is fading on you too soon.

How soon from bottling or kegging is it changing?

Hop aromas and flavors fade, nothing to be done about it.

You think its just fading and the peppery flavor was there to begin with, but just covered up? Or the nice hoppy flavors actually turn into pepper?

This is one of the reasons I'd like to keg. I could get a hoppy beer nice and cold after a week to ten days, rather than two-three weeks with bottle-conditioning.

If you are kegging you can always toss in some dry hops. Works wonders for me. If you bottled than pick up a vial of hop oil from freshops.com or other resource and add a few drops to your glass. You can also experiment with different hops if Cascade is fading on you too soon.

How soon from bottling or kegging is it changing?

After 12 days in primary it had great hop flavor. After a week in the bottle it had great hop flavor, but was not quite carbonated. After two weeks in the bottle it was noticeably fading. At the three-week point there is little fresh hop aroma left. This seems too fast to me.

The "Designing Great Beers" book says that Cascade becomes "spicier" over time. Perhaps this is what your noticing. Have you made hoppy brews without cascade?

Some yeasts will give off peppery esters. What kind of yeast are you using and what temps are you fermenting at?

I've never had the citrus flavour from cascade, centennial or amarillo disappear after only a few weeks in the bottle. Neither do most of the breweries that bottle -- at least to my palate.

The "Designing Great Beers" book says that Cascade becomes "spicier" over time. Perhaps this is what your noticing. Have you made hoppy brews without cascade?

This could be it. I almost always add some Cascade. Mirror Pond is one of my favorite commercial beers, and it's all Cascade, but it doesn't have this peppery flavor. It may also be contamination, because it never shows up until I bottle.

Back