Just got back home after being away for a year and...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TarzanFainberg

Reaction score
...found a primary fermenter that I brewed about 13 months ago.What I remember was that it wasn't a particularly high-gravity beer, a dry stout. I also remember that the yeast worked its magic before I left. Also, no one else lives here and would've contaminated the wort.

My question to you all is this: Is there a way, by looking or smelling, to tell if its gone bad?

I'd like to be able to rescue this beer and not have to dump it out but I'd also like to not have to clean bottles and such for a doomed beer.

What say you all?

The only way you'll know is to taste and smell it.....we can't tell you. We're good by I haven't perfected my "remote beering" talent enough to psychically determine it for you. :D (I just saw "Men Who Stare at Goats on Friday.)

Wow, that is restraint. I almost wish I had such restraint that I could forget about 5 gallons of fermenting wort!

Wow, that is restraint. I almost wish I had such restraint that I could forget about 5 gallons of fermenting wort!

I had assumed it was just forgetfulness.:)

Either way, I'm only posting here so it pops up in "My replies" I wanna know how it turns out! :)

Away for a year...were you deployed? Temporarily incarcerated? Lost?
BTW, where in PA are you from? and Welcome to the forum.

mmmm....beer. Give it a shot, it won't* kill you.

*=disclaimer--> if it kills you, I'm sorry but not responsible :D

oh man! I'm just hoping he doesn't take 13 months to get back to us :eek: haha

I love reading these posts about forgotten beers and wines!

Is there a way, by looking or smelling, to tell if its gone bad?

Yep, bad beer tastes and/or smells bad. Infections tend to be really obvious. If it passes the smell/taste test, rack it. If you are bottling, I'd add some fresh yeast.

Rack and bottle it. And then let a friend be in charge of it. Id prefer waiting two weeks instead of 13 more months to see how it turns out.

Hey... dude.... Hellooooooooo?

You going to answer these poor beer drinkers or do we have to hunt you down and confiscate that fine 5 gal of goodness and give it the proper treatment???

Don't hold back.... come on now... we aren't sitting here waiting for nothing... ya know.

We are searching for I.P. address information and will locate you if you do not answer.

So coff it up and let us know the results man!

Say 1....2....3... Cheers and let us know... dang it!

Hey... dude.... Hellooooooooo?

You going to answer these poor beer drinkers or do we have to hunt you down and confiscate that fine 5 gal of goodness and give it the proper treatment???

Don't hold back.... come on now... we aren't sitting here waiting for nothing... ya know.

We are searching for I.P. address information and will locate you if you do not answer.

So coff it up and let us know the results man!

Say 1....2....3... Cheers and let us know... dang it!

Everyone doesn't check HBT hourly? Huh, I thought that was a requirement. ;)

I'm gonna sit here and wait for him....I will refresh every 20 seconds. I'll let everyone know when he posts.

The only way you'll know is to taste and smell it.....we can't tell you. We're good by I haven't perfected my "remote beering" talent enough to psychically determine it for you. :D (I just saw "Men Who Stare at Goats on Friday.)

I just got the book. plan to read it next. how was the flick?

Also, i bet the beer is fine, but trying it, like everyone else is saying, is the only way to know. I want to brew another stout now.

I just got the book. plan to read it next. how was the flick?

Also, i bet the beer is fine, but trying it, like everyone else is saying, is the only way to know. I want to brew another stout now.

Did you ever get to see the original BBC documentary before they pulled it off youtube over the weekend. They lifted scenes whole heartedly and recreated them with actors, AND wrapped this whole really strange fictional story around the info you'll find in the book. It was OK, but I think, since no matter how one feels about him, Michael Moore has proven that documenteries can be commercial successes, I would have preferred a big screen documentary with Jon Ronson in it, then this comedy.

It was fun, but I really wonder how it will play to someone who is not familiar with the book or the bbc series.

Let me know what you think when you see it.

Well, maybe he's stretched out on the floor with an empty beer glass next to him. Change his handle to "Toe Tag"...

I love the vicarious voyeurism just fine, but I really like all the hopeful optimism just bursting at the seams for a standard stout that has been sitting a room temp for more that a year, on a yeast cake, likely with a dry airlock for a large chunk of it.
No it wont kill him, but beer ages folks. True, its rare for me that a batch lasts more than a month from when I start drinking it, but I have seen several beers go past their prime and go down hill fast. (and that is bottled and refrigerated)
With that amount of time, I would expect an infection to be blatantly visible, and smell-able.
I'd most likely expect the beer to be stale.

'course, after a long stint in the joint, I'd drink a stale beer.

probably while still warm and flat.

Back