Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Safbrew # T-58 anybody have experiences w/ this yeast

Old 11-04-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
starrfish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Safbrew # T-58 anybody have experiences w/ this yeast

Anybody use this yeast? Thinking about using it in my smoked imperial porter.
peppery & spicy w/ the smoke. I originally was looking for at least a neutral ale yeast, but this caught my eye. Imperial porter will be in the 8% range.

Fermentis Yeast from England - Dry Yeast
Safbrew # T-58
Edme Yeast Strain

A speciality yeast selected for its estery somewhat peppery and spicy flavour development. Sedimentation: medium. Final gravity: high. Also recommended for bottle-conditioning of beers. Excellent performance in beers with alcohol contents of up to 8.5% v/v but can ferment up to 11.5% v/v.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 11-04-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
Neonsilver
Recipes 

I've used this in a Belgian Noel that I brewed about a month ago. Kicked off huge without a starter but I pitched two packs. From a taste standpoint I can't comment too much as the only one I've tried is one week in the bottle. So far I'm not noticing any spicey or peppery notes but there is a definite banana flavor at the end. I fermented right around 64-65 ambient so it may have fermented in the low 70's. I'll be able to give some better tasting notes in a month or so as I'm not going to crack another one until Thanksgiving.

Bottled - Gingerbread ale, IPA, Brown porter, RIS, Better than dead x2, APA x2, Kolsch

Old 11-04-2009, 02:23 PM   #3
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have made a Belgian Pale Ale with it, I was suprised at how estery and phenolic it was. It's the only Belgian dry yeast that I know of, and I think it would be a good choice for something really big where you want the Belgian flavor profile but don't wanna build a starter.

I have heard it is a powdered version of the Chimay strain...but that's just what I heard.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I used this in a smoked porter and was really happy with the results. The flavor profile that was described was subdued, but I think it complemented the smoked malt.

I may use the yeast in a stout this season.

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

Old 11-04-2009, 02:33 PM   #5
Martin2D
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use it in a Belgian Pale Ale (Russian River Redemption clone) and it comes out nice and estery. It is by far the favorite beer of all the people who try my beers. My brother can't keep this stuff on his kegerator either it goes so fast.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:27 PM   #6
k2brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is the yeast I use for my semi-famous (at least among my friends) Dunkelweizen and it has some really nice characteristics as long as you watch your fermentation temp. I let one get away from me, but was still a pretty good beer.

On-Deck 1 => Oktoberfest
Primary 1 => Blonde Ale
Secondary 1 =>
Drinking => Doppelweizenbock, Apfelwein, Fuggly Blonde, Oktoberfest, Dunkelweizen

Old 11-06-2009, 08:10 PM   #7
Teacher
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It'd better be good! I have a packet scheduled to arrive today. I'm going to make some kind of rye beer with it.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:54 PM   #8
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfish View Post
Fermentis Yeast from England - Dry Yeast
Safbrew # T-58
Edme Yeast Strain

A speciality yeast selected for its estery somewhat peppery and spicy flavour development. Sedimentation: medium. Final gravity: high. Also recommended for bottle-conditioning of beers. Excellent performance in beers with alcohol contents of up to 8.5% v/v but can ferment up to 11.5% v/v.
Where's that description from?

Edme is S33...I've been curious what the source of T-58 is but haven't seen anything mentioned.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:02 PM   #9
starrfish
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

http://ebrew.com/beer_yeast_dry/safbrew_yeast_t-58.htm

my online homebrew shop alternative beverage.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 11-08-2009, 09:41 PM   #10
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 77

I use it for bottle conditioning a lot. I fermented about 3 liters of Schwarzbier with it in the low 60s. It was pretty clean, if anything very slightly peppery. The lager was better, but the few bottles of with T-58 were pretty good. I'm going to try a dark American wheat beer with it soon.