I'm drinking Green Beer, and its delicious!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DansBrew

Reaction score
Hello all. I have seen so many whats wrong with my beer posts in my short time here. Most often its people drinking green beer, a week or so in the bottle, and some are even worse... I saw one who fermented for 4 days, bottled it, and drank it like 4 days later and was wondering whats wrong... Well anyway, I must be one of the luckiest brewers ever, Im drinking my second attempt at fermented beverage. My first, a Saison, which has been bottled since 8-2-09 and is being consumed en masse this weekend at my house by my closest drinking buddies... my 2nd, which was bottled 9-9-09. It's an American Brown ale. I had a little trouble maintaining temp during fermentation. It got a little warm. like 82... hehe... Well I made a promise to myself that I would swig a fair amount before bottling, and then on the 1 and 2 week marks... Well after one week, I threw it in the freezer, because well, I was thirsty and eager. It has wonderful head, with plenty of lace... Its main taste is delicious, there's a little twang in it, on finish, but I'm thinking its just because it's green. I'm stoked for this one to be done, just as the fall weather gets here, its a great time for this beer. Happy brewing everyone, From A relaxed, non worried, homebrewer sipping his own homebrew. Ahhh, What a life....

So why are you so excited??? ;) j/k...

You know, EVERYONE of us has gone through EXACTLY what you're describing...enjoy! ;)

Later on you'll learn to fill the pipeline through overbrewing (quantity) and patience (restraint to keep "samples" at a minimum)...:D

Fellow drinker, I join you, currently with a thrice hopped special red that was 3 weeks from brew to glass.

The keg is almost drained and the beer isn't close to it's prime although it is delicious. Of course there is a sixer in the cellar for long term.

Congrats!! :mug: Thought I was the only one, drinking green brown ale. Does have a little twang to it. Have to do something until the Russian Imperial Stout is ready and remodeling the bathroom is taking a little longer!!!! Kinda makes you wonder how much is left in the keg though :confused: Thank god there is a back up keg just sucks it isn't homebrew!!!:(

I'm going through this same thing right now. I lost my hydrometer tube (any suggestions on a temporary replacement until my next HBS shipment) so I just tasted a few sips of green, UNCARBED, beer after 2 weeks in primary, and it was delicious. Like you said, a bit of a twang at the end, but considering it was warm, uncarbed and green, I'm VERY excited.

Cheers to the Joys of Homebrewing! :mug:

Did you lose the tube to test your brew, or that actual hydrometer? If its just the tube that holds liquid, anything would work as long as it has room to sink and level out.

Did you lose the tube to test your brew, or that actual hydrometer? If its just the tube that holds liquid, anything would work as long as it has room to sink and level out.

Just the tube. It's surprisingly difficult to find something that would work, that wouldn't waste a bunch of beer. I'm thinking I'm just going to sanitize the crap out of the hydrometer and put it directly in the fermenter right before I bottle. I know this is usually frowned upon, but I think if care is taken, it shouldn't be a problem.

Use a pint of a pilsner glass. Its glass so its easy to sanitize. My hydrometer tube holds 8 oz. It spills a little once the hydrometer is put in. So taking 12 or 16 oz is better than putting your hydrometer in your fermenter. What if ya crack it open on the side, or when ya stick your head down you sneeze, or drop hair in your beer. Its not worth 5 gallons just to save a few ounces of beer. JMO.

Latest posts

Back