Low Starting Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jud

Reaction score
Just finished brewing and but in the carboy. I think I might have a problem. The kit (Brewer's Best Bold Russian Imperial Stout)
6.6 lbs Plain Dark Malt Estract
2lbs Plain Dark Dry Malt Estract
8 oz Crushed Roasted Barley
8 oz Crushed Black Patent
1 lb Crush Crystal Malt 60L
1 oz Columbus Hops
1 Beer Yeast
I add 2lbs Plain Amber Dry Malt Estract on recomendation of HBS, to get to a 9.5%ABV

Kit stated a stated starting gravity of 1.070 - 1.080. I took mine and it was only 1.040, should I be concerned? AM I going to meet my mark of a 9.5%ABV? I know relax and just let the beer do it thing. But is it normal to get a reading that low?

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. It was pointed out to me that I most likely did not mix the wort and the extra water well enough (this is particularly easy to do if you topped off your carboy with water). This caused my hydrometer reading to be more diluted than it should have been.

On my following batches I have made sure to mix the wort and water really well and I have had no problems with my gravity readings.

It's pretty hard to mess up the gravity with an extract kit - chances are that the top-off water did not get mixed well enough with the wort and you just got a false reading. It actually takes quite a bit to get the thick wort mixed well enough with the cold water to get a correct OG reading. I wouldn't worry about it at this point, it will mix itself just fine during fermentation and you should have the ABV you're looking for.

So my beer is ok? And should come out on target?

you should be fine. the only way to mess up the gravity of an extract batch is to have the wrong amount of water or wrong amount of extract. if you got them both right, you will have the right amount of sugar. like Octang said, you probably just did not mix well enough to get a proper gravity reading

Cool thanks guys!!!!! I used 5 Gals of water like kit said. Home Depot 5 Gal purified water!!!

yeah, I didn't even take hydro readings when I used to do extract kits. Its just assumed that if you add all the fermentables with the correct ratio of water you're good to go.

think its a hydro error? what does your hydro read in regular water? was the wort pretty homogenous? like others said, if the wort is not thoroughly mixed you could get a sample from the "lighter" liquid.

Back