Adding Bacardi to the keg...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IXVolt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I did a search and didn't come up with anything, so I'm going to go ahead and throw this out there...

I'm a sucker for soda + liquor. I especially like Root beer & Rum, or Rum & Cokes.

I've kegged a few batches of root beer with great results and I am thinking of adding rum to my next batch and possibly trying some sort of cola, so I would have a mixed drink straight out of the tap.

Has anyone tried this yet? Would carbonating alcohol to the level of soda create any problems?

*if this is in the wrong area my apologies, I figured this was a general alcohol mixing questions.

That sounds really crazy... Rum&Coke on tap?

I don't know anything about it, but sounds really interesting.... subscribed..

Wouldn't the alcohol separate from the soda and float to the top of the keg? If you mix a drink and let it sit overnight they tend to separate and the hard alcohol floats to the surface.

The most recent beer I made has you add 400ml of bourbon to the keg. There's no concern of separation. Maybe some hard alcohols will separate, but I don't know if that's the case for all of them. I would think it would work.

i believe have seen a thread on the soda making section on this,i think some one said a 1.75ltr and a 1/5 were what they used.

Yeah, I make kegs of margaritas all the time during football season (making another batch this weekend). I have had no issue with seperation as long as it is mixed well to begin with, and pouring margarita off tap is allways a hit :D

A margarita isn't carbonated, would that make a difference?

I'm one step closer to an endless rum -n- coke !!

SInce we tend to drink most of it that first day, there is very little left to get carbonated. I have kept leftovers on tap for a week or so and they have started to carbonate, which a fizzy margarita isnt half bad :D ( I think I just lost my man card for saying that...)

I see no problem with doing a giant rum and coke, but I may only try a half keg first just to see if you will like your concoction en masse instead of being able to tailor your individual drink for your mood.

alcohol and water get along well. think isopropyl (?sp) it has 30% water and stays in solution

alcohol and water get along well. think isopropyl (?sp) it has 30% water and stays in solution

Well, hopefully you are not drinking isopropyl alcohol :D

Yes, ethanol and water get along just fine, in fact most of your "hard" alcohols are still about 60% water. The "seperation" you see in most mixed drinks is more due to either incomplete mixing or the drink warming up and the alcohol becomes more apparent than from true seperation IMHO.

Well, hopefully you are not drinking isopropyl alcohol :D

Yes, ethanol and water get along just fine, in fact most of your "hard" alcohols are still about 60% water. The "seperation" you see in most mixed drinks is more due to either incomplete mixing or the drink warming up and the alcohol becomes more apparent than from true seperation IMHO.

Incomplete mixing. 80 proof rum even mixed with 60% water is less dense then cola therefore it will tend to float or separate.

With this frame of thought Alcohol is added the water the base SG of water is 1.000 the booze then lowers the SG. Soda is water with added sugars therefore raising the SG.

So I guess a good test would be to mix a drink in a cup, throw it in the fridge and try the drink over several days / weeks? Checking to see if there is a liquid separation.

Alcohol and water are completely miscible (which means they will "dissolve" in each other completely at any concentration). There's no reason a well mixed batch of soda and rum would ever separate.

the only concern would be if ice crystals started to form that you would see separation

Fridge isn't that cold.... and I don't have any plans on cold fracture distilling :cross:

This is looking promising.

Now I just have to keep the kids out of the "rootbeer" tap.

lmao

I too enjoy my liqour and soda (SoCo and Mt Dew),this sounds like the greatest/worst idea ever. Thanks, I might be single soon.

It really is a great idea. There are plenty of people out there who don't like beer, but how many people out there don't like beer AND rum and coke? Like, no one.

It really is a great idea. There are plenty of people out there who don't like beer, but how many people out there don't like beer AND rum and coke? Like, no one.

Why do you even know people that don't like beer, let alone allow them into your home and offer to serve them????

Heathens.:mad:

j/k ;)

Alcohol and water are completely miscible (which means they will "dissolve" in each other completely at any concentration). There's no reason a well mixed batch of soda and rum would ever separate.

Alcohol is miscible with water not sugar or whatever other chemicals are in soda.

this is funny to me. when was the last time Alcohol came out of your beer or wine solution? armchair chemists :rolleyes:
soda is not a chemical its a mixture with water as the solvent and primary component ,just like 80 proof rum or whiskey.

this will work just fine.
and if you are really that worred about it seprating after days-weeks
here is an idea, if you have not pulled a hi-ball off the draft in a few weeks
just give the keg a little shake before hand, that way you know how much
black death you have left and its mixed to boot.

this is funny to me. when was the last time Alcohol came out of your beer or wine solution? armchair chemists :rolleyes:
soda is not a chemical its a mixture with water as the solvent and primary component ,just like 80 proof rum or whiskey.

this will work just fine.
and if you are really that worred about it seprating after days-weeks
here is an idea, if you have not pulled a hi-ball off the draft in a few weeks
just give the keg a little shake before hand, that way you know how much
black death you have left and its mixed to boot.

Armchair chemist? Have you read the ingredients in soda? And I have a degree in biology so I have taken many chemistry classes as a matter of fact I'm 9 credits shy of a minor in chemistry. So slam away...

Back