Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Lagunitas maximus IPA

Old 08-07-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
TechyDork
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Lagunitas maximus IPA

I was excited to get a hold of a bottle of this over the weekend. I cracked it open last night and was very disappointed. It was so sweet that i could barely finish it. Even the aroma was had a bit of a candy sweet note, i was expecting a nice full hop aroma and a good bitterness. It almost had that extract twang that you can get sometimes with extract brewing and almost zero hop flavors.

did i just get a bad bottle? I am in Alaska so i am sure it has been stored at who knows how many different temps.

European!

-Dustin

Old 08-07-2009, 07:09 PM   #2
red999
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I tried it for the first time a couple weeks ago and thought the same thing. Way too sweet and I dont even think I tasted any hops. I was thinking it might have been an old bottle or something. Definitely not what I was expecting for an IPA/IIPA.

Secondary:

Kegged:

UpNext:

Old 08-08-2009, 12:41 AM   #3
r2eng
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts

Bad bottle is my guess. It's a hoppy beer.

I got a bad bottle of Alesmith ESB just yesterday. I have had this beer before, and it was awesome each time. The bottle last night was like someone dumped a shot or two of vinegar in it.

Pissed me off.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:43 AM   #4
TechyDork
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I was excited to try this because i have heard so many good things about it, it was just so sweet that i could barely choke it down. i will give it another try in a month or so, maybe the store will bottles from a different batch.

European!

-Dustin

Old 08-10-2009, 04:01 AM   #5
Yankeehillbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I tried it a few months back and thought exactly the same thing. There's something about Lagunitas that I just don't like. It seems all their beers that I have tried have that same sweetness. The only one I really like is their Pils. Gnarly Wine isn't too bad, but still has that same taste, but i sorta expect it from that one. Anyhow, I was dissappointed as well. I only live a couple hours from Petaluma, so I would imagine the bottle I got wasn't terribly old, but you never know.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:09 AM   #6
TechyDork
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I just tride Veticle Epic 08-08-08 from stone and it had the same sweetness to it, i couldn't even bring myself to tae a 2nd gulp. it also poured with about 75% head, and there was a lot of yeast in the bottom of the bottle. maybe i need to find a new liquor store.

European!

-Dustin

Old 08-10-2009, 12:40 PM   #7
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNB View Post
did i just get a bad bottle?
I'd say that's quite possible. I've had this several times and when it's fairly fresh, it's got a nice dose of hop aroma and flavor to counterbalance the malt...as it ages, both diminish and it takes on more of a barley wine like profile some what like you describe.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:03 PM   #8
Shepherd5
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just tried this the other day, and I would not ever consider this beer sweet! It was more sour than sweet, and in a good way, very hoppy, a bit more bitter than I prefer, but pretty damn good. Strange that so many people thought it was sweet, hmmmm.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:06 AM   #9
iparks81
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Im drinkin on a maximus rght now..Loving it, ...Im not getting the "overly sweet" thing that everyone is talking about, it seems more malty than a normal IPA (which I like) but nothing to sweet to drink (I normally dont like beers that are too sweet) The hops have a great aroma, and a good bite. one of my fav beers...Im originally from Soldotna, AK and I have gotte a coulple bad beers from stores up there. Try it again if you find it, it really is a kick ass beer!

Old 09-24-2010, 03:23 AM   #10
lokiesque
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm drinkin' one right now. I'm impressed. I like their IPA quite a bit, so I gave it a spin. I also don't find it to be sweet, solid malt backbone, but not too sweet. I think it has fruity notes to it. A little citrusy but not over-the-top citrusy. Good aroma, great flavor. I only bought one in a mixed sixer and now I wish I bought more. Not the best I've ever had but a solid, solid brew. Somehow feels bigger than the 72 IBUs listed on the bottle. I concur iparks, kick ass.

jasonrian Likes This