PLEASE HELP ME!!! My poor stout!!??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmystank

Reaction score
Ive looked around and cant seem to find exactly what I want on this question. Stout, mainly oatmeal stout is one of my favorite styles and I recently ordered a kegging system. Ive been reading about a stout tap and "beergas" and have gotten kind of discouraged. Id like to have one on tap but dont really wanna pay for the beergas, the faucets no problem. So what Im asking is, is there any way to be drinking my delicious stout with plain co2? Maybe a low psi? PLEASE GIVE ME GOOD NEWS!!!

Not every stout needs (or wants) to be served nitrogenated.
You mention oatmeal stout, I assume you've had Samuel Smith's version. Good Right?
Did you notice a widget in the bottle a la Guinness? - Nope.

Serve it through your regular tap. If in the future you want to upgrade to a beer gas system then do so...

And (correct me if I'm wrong folks) you can serve from a stout faucet without beergas, you just wont have the same effect...

I have my third stout on tap :)

I have brewed a sam smith oatmeal clone, a bastardized stout recipe I made, and now have a milk stout.

Mmmmm

Like has been mentioned u don't need beer gas.

I serve my beers at 10-12 psi. The stouts seem to take longer to carb up for me

Serving psi depends on line length, line diameter, height of tap and desired carbonation level. See here: ( https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/keg-force-carbing-methods-illustrated-73328/ )
and here: ( Draft system line balancing )

Well hell you might as well read all the links on this sticky : https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/sticky-kegging-faqs-43347/

However don't let that scare you. To distill it down, put it in the chill chest at between 34-40F, set your reg to 10psi, let it sit for 3 weeks. (obviously you'll be sneaking samples) don't judge it until at least 3 weeks on the gas.

+1 to purechaos on stouts taking a little longer to carb properly...

Back