confessions of a fraggin beer snob - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > confessions of a fraggin beer snob

Old 07-26-2009, 02:40 PM   #11
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Perry, MI
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanielb1 View Post
arturo7
I have to agree with you. If I am out and all they have is Bud Light or the like, I am drinking water or soda. I do not drink to get drunk. I prefer quality over quantity. Thats just me.
And I smoke weed just because I like the smell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 07-26-2009, 03:07 PM   #12
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts

I'm a snob also.

If I won't buy it (a particular brand) myself, I won't drink it even if it was free...

Old 07-26-2009, 03:13 PM   #13
jerryodom

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Baton Rouge

I guess I'm not a snob. I'll drink anything. The Beast, MGD, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Crazy Horse Malt liqour, whatever.

Of course when I go to the store I'm spending $10+ on a sixer but whatever is good.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:16 PM   #14
zac
Thread Killer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Marion. Va
Liked 153 Times on 150 Posts

Whats the difference in me not eating onions (which is perfectly fine) & turning down coors lite & bud lite last night?

We were over at a freinds house, and nothing ill was said about either one.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:41 PM   #15
jerryodom

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Baton Rouge

I just thought of something somewhat amusing relevant to this thread. I have a lot of friends who will "only drink Coors" or "only drink Bud" whatever. I had one of them over and not be able to finish a Hobgoblin because he didn't like the taste. My brother in law only drinks The Beast and couldn't finish a glass of this really awesome schwarzbier.

I guess if American lager drinkers can shun our beers why not shun theirs?

Old 07-26-2009, 04:08 PM   #16
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 152 Times on 143 Posts

The choice wasn't a free beer or nothing; it was a free sammie or a free bud light.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-26-2009, 04:24 PM   #17
Aubie Stout
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Birmingham, Al
Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts

Crap is still crap. Doesn't matter if it is free or not. I'll echo what's already been said by some others: if BMC is all they have in regards to beer, I'll drink water. What difference does it make if it's free?

Old 07-26-2009, 05:00 PM   #18
dontman

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Philly, PA
Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Yea, I'm definitely in the "would rather not drink than drink beer I don't like" camp. I'm as discreet as possible about it but I really would rather have a soda or water than Bud or Bud light. I don't drink to get buzzed anyway. Simply not a priority. A pleasant side effect for sure but not the immediate goal of drinking a beer.

As far as evolving tastes, no I haven't always drunk top shelf craft beer, or vodka, or port, or cognac, or coffee, but over the years my experience has enlightened me to the possibilities and poor quality examples of any of them no longer suffice.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:06 PM   #19
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Jul 2008
Santa Rosa, CA
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryodom View Post

I guess if American lager drinkers can shun our beers why not shun theirs?
Word. That is the key right there. I knew that there was going to be a light beer drinker at a party last night. He brought his obligatory case of Corona and I walked in with some Anchor Summer Beer. It is a wheat blend, very light and perfect for the BMC crowd. He tasted it and said he liked it, but...then I told him it was an ale and that he was holding a skunked lager in his hand...he doesn't like ales, and that is why it tastes bad to him.

This my friends, is snobbery to me. I do this on occasion as well, but this is snobbery.

I keep trying them, but always have to turn down Lagunitas beer. They aren't my style, so lucky for you I don't just drink them.

I recently read that Coors isn't pasteurized. Don't know if that counts for anything. Filtered to death, sure, but not pasteurized.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:20 PM   #20
Ceedubya

Recipes 

Aug 2008
Helena, MT
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

I attended an industry trade show last week. At one of the social events, they we were provided two free drink tickets. One of the gals in our group had the hookup and kept getting more drink tickets.

I took my first ticket to the counter to find the usual run of bmc, and not a single decent beer. I figured they would at least have a Fat Tire or something of the lot.

So, I kept giving my free tickets away to make friends, and spent the night walking back and forth across the building to the lounge to buy Sam Adams Boston Lager. One of the gals was kind of poking fun of me, so I made the analogy of offering a drinker of good wine a bottle of Mad Dog or Boone's Farm. That seemed to make sense to her.

So yes, I would rather pay for a good beer than drink a free crappy beer.

although, a few days later I was at an office thing and at the end of the day one of the guys was making a store run for "refreshments". I told him that if they got some Sam Adams or a
Fat Tire (I used these two cuz I figured the store would have one, and most people know what they are) that I would have one, otherwize I was fine. I also said, that I didn't care for Bud Light or the like, yes I specifically said Bud Light. I was nice about it, and off he went. 20 minutes later, one of the other guys pops around the corner opening a bud light and puts it in front of me. Soooo, I drank it politely and when asked if I wanted another I politely refused, saying one was enough for me and that was that.

I don't understand the purpose of the line, "I don't need to drink to
have fun." Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and
sticks when they've invented the lighter?