Newbie in FL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam2827o

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I stumbled onto this website looking for information for my first batch and look forward to trying out many different home brews.

For my first, I'm going for a German wheat beer so I picked up Mutons Wheat Beer Liquid Extract Kit from the local store along with 2 pounds of Dry Amber malt extract. Does anyone have any suggestions on anything specific I should do other than the usual directions?

Hey! Just signed up as well in Florida. PLanning out a nice Stout. You wouldn't happen to shop at Hearts?

C

Welcome from Melbourne! Not sure what to make with the ingredients, what kind of hops do you have on hand or is it pre hopped extract?

Holy cow, you guys getting any of this rain on the east coast? Haven't seen a storm like this in YEARS. Something like 30 lightning strikes a minute.

Holy cow, you guys getting any of this rain on the east coast? Haven't seen a storm like this in YEARS. Something like 30 lightning strikes a minute.

On my map Melbourne is the East coast.....

clear and cool here.... a chilly 86F.....

Ok, so I've looked up some more stuff and I'm thinking that I may switch over to a pilsner dry malt extract. The can is already a pre-hopped kit so as I understand it all it needs is some extra sugar and some yeast to make the good stuff.

got hammered (not in the good way) last night. was a nasty bunch that came through Titusville.

C

Ok, so I've looked up some more stuff and I'm thinking that I may switch over to a pilsner dry malt extract. The can is already a pre-hopped kit so as I understand it all it needs is some extra sugar and some yeast to make the good stuff.

If its the kit I'm thinking of, its a breeze. Just sterilize and have fun.

EDIT: I always forget to sterilize something. I'm getting old I fear. my advice..make a list or walk through the process just so you can not be like me. :) hardest part is staring at those bottles for days and days

Thanks, I'll be starting today. We'll see how it turns out. I just hope I can drink it fast enough to start a new batch soon.

Hey! Just signed up as well in Florida. PLanning out a nice Stout. You wouldn't happen to shop at Hearts?

C

Wow, talk about an unfriendly bunch in there. It's across town from me, so I don't go there often. When I do, I always leave bitter and disappointed.

We are lucky enough to have our own brew shop out here on the panhandle called The Shady Lady, they are really nice people but the owners are more into wine making. While it is nice to be able to go to a brewshop and have your questions about brewing answered, you can't complain when wine and cheesemakers also decide to sell brewing supplies.

Wow, talk about an unfriendly bunch in there. It's across town from me, so I don't go there often. When I do, I always leave bitter and disappointed.

No kidding, I drove from Melbourne to check them out and was very disappointed. I'll mail order for now....

guess that answered my next question. I've only been there once. i don't mind a mail order now and then...just was hoping for a place local for those quick fixes and to meet regulars with experience.

C

Yep! Be sure to mind your charging sugar amount prior to bottling and the rest is already done for you sounds like! I wish you well in your brewing endeavors!

This site rocks, and I've been learning alot over the past couple weeks. But I do have a question about my first batch. It's been in the primary for 11 days now and I took a hydrometer reading and got 1.017 from a 1.042 OG reading. I started with a Muntons Wheat Kit(prehopped) and 2 lbs of Amber DME to make a 6 gallon batch according to the instructions. I moved it to the secondary today because the beer was very cloudy so I'm hoping to clear it up over the next couple weeks. However, when I tasted the sample, it didn't really taste like much of anything. There was a beer after taste, but not much up front. Is this batch doomed to taste like water downed beer, or is there something I can do for it?

This site rocks, and I've been learning alot over the past couple weeks. But I do have a question about my first batch. It's been in the primary for 11 days now and I took a hydrometer reading and got 1.017 from a 1.042 OG reading. I started with a Muntons Wheat Kit(prehopped) and 2 lbs of Amber DME to make a 6 gallon batch according to the instructions. I moved it to the secondary today because the beer was very cloudy so I'm hoping to clear it up over the next couple weeks. However, when I tasted the sample, it didn't really taste like much of anything. There was a beer after taste, but not much up front. Is this batch doomed to taste like water downed beer, or is there something I can do for it?

You'll probably have better luck asking in the Beginner forum.

As for your question, as a new brewer I'm not sure how accurate I am. However, it sounds to me like it might not be done fermenting. I believe you're supposed to take 3 consecutive FG readings over 3 days before calling fermentation quits and transferring. I would seek out more experienced answers, FWIW.

Latest posts

Back