What is "Extract LDK"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apeltes

Reaction score
I would like to use some British grains in my recipes, but I can't find figures for FGDB (fine grind/dry basis) or CGDB (course grind/dry basis)... and my math is based on percentages or ppg (points per pound per gallon).

What I find is "Extract LDK" instead. For example, here's Simpson's specifications: Simpsons Malt : Welcome to the Home of Good Malt

Can someone please tell me what this is, and how to convert it to something I can use?

Thanks!

LDK is dry extract. Not sure what it stands for and not sure if it is coarse or fine, but it may be similar or the same as HWE (Hot Water Extract) since the numbers are very similar. Divide the number (308 for pale malt) by 386 (per this page) and you get 0.79, which would be considered OK for any base malt's DBFG.

Excellent. You know... I did read that page but I didn't see the conversion factor there. I can't believe how hard it was to find an answer to this, but I think now I'm set. Much appreciated.

Litre • Degrees / Kilogram

ie LDK

much the same as PPPPG, except Metric.

(sorry, just found this thread while googling, figured it deserved an answer ;))

And except for the way in which it is stated. We say 'points per pound per gallon' which we write points/pound/gallon = points/(pound/gallon) = gallon-points/pound which is the same form as litre-degrees(Plato)/killogram. I always have to stop and think about it.

Latest posts

Back