Buckfast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never heard of Buckie, sounds like its corrupting youth up there, along with cider and alcopops. Wine yeast will ferment to 15% but if you wanted to make a drink like that at home you would need fortifying spirit. If you have a connection at a winery you might be able to get some but not too many wineries in that part of the world.
Ferment some grape juice to about 1.050 SG then fortify to about 17% to kill the yeast.

It's like wine that tastes like cough syrup with caffeine added, it's dreadful stuff.
Students and general cheapo drinkers swear by its magical getting wasted properties.

haha thought id get a few good answers lol, its nicer here in Great Britain than in the republic of ireland.

cheers for the info greg

To add caffeine, you could probably boil up a few proplus tablets and add that to the fortified wine, don't forget the caffeine or it won't be buckie and it'll not have the magical trouser wetting properties, as well as the magical getting wasted properties.

so add brandy to red wine before initial fermentaition is complete with some proplus and vanilla extract shouldnt be too far from our local champagne???

Not so sure about the vanilla idea, although it'll definitely get you the sickly effect.
I'd have thought you're looking for a very deep red wine, then some lidl brandy and some proplus.
**** me it even sounds scary.

I also believe it imbues the power of defeating policemen in battle, but I'm not sure if that's just a rumour.

You need to be sure to add enough brandy to bring the abv to at least 17% to stop refermenting.
It might work better as a molotov coctail, light touchpaper and stand back.

It sounds like a super el cheapo kind of port.

Can anyone say ASBO? :)

Haha yeah you got it in one.

You need a baseball cap, some running pants, the white shiney type is best, expensive trainers, a long pencil joint of really bad soap hash in one hand and a bottle of bucky in the other and you're ready for an ASBO. Oh I also forgot the entitlement attitude that only comes from being one of a long line of welfare recipients........

It's not THAT cheap, but it has a good bang for it's buck, the caffeine and alcohol messes with people big style....

This picture from Bumwines gave me a chuckle

uk_wines.jpg

Back