Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > transplanting and raised beds

Old 05-25-2009, 09:29 PM   #1
hobbsj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default transplanting and raised beds

So, the wife and I are moving. I started my rhizomes in pots in order to at least get some root growth this year. We have 4 to 5 days of travel and then I get to make a garden at the new house to transplant them. We're really big in to vegetable gardens and were thinking about raised beds. We're moving to maine and I don't know if there will be enough insulation in the winter to keep them from freezing to death. Thoughts on doing this? Any precautions for the transplant?

Thanks

Old 05-26-2009, 01:24 AM   #2
jagg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbsj View Post
So, the wife and I are moving. I started my rhizomes in pots in order to at least get some root growth this year. We have 4 to 5 days of travel and then I get to make a garden at the new house to transplant them. We're really big in to vegetable gardens and were thinking about raised beds. We're moving to maine and I don't know if there will be enough insulation in the winter to keep them from freezing to death. Thoughts on doing this? Any precautions for the transplant?

Thanks
I think they will be fine in a raised bed, if you are worried you could pile some mulch on them before the first freeze, and that will give them food in the spring, that is what I do here in NC, if anyone else disagrees that lives in Maine, let the man know. Good luck on growing your hops and your move to Maine.