So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed a Milk Chocolate Stout today that I may or may not turn into a German Chocolate Stout!?!? Decisions. 🤔
Planned on brewing a German Pilsner today too but it was way to damn hot outside for a double. Oh well there's always next week.

I'm brewing Sunday, as long as the LHBS can get me my lacto by then.

I'm doing five gallons of an all-lacto Belgian blonde. Later this month, I'm going to brew five more gallons of Belgian blonde on Belle Saison, then I'm going to blend them and rack half onto peaches from my neighbor's yard and the other half on local blackberries, if I can source them.

I'm brewing Sunday, as long as the LHBS can get me my lacto by then.

I'm doing five gallons of an all-lacto Belgian blonde. Later this month, I'm going to brew five more gallons of Belgian blonde on Belle Saison, then I'm going to blend them and rack half onto peaches from my neighbor's yard and the other half on local blackberries, if I can source them.

Lol

5noHKsb.jpg

I have to travel to a hotel in Chicago for the weekend. I wonder if there is any way for me to brew a batch of something between visiting breweries and putzing around in the hotel room. And by putzing around I mean whatever it is guys do when they are bored and nobody is around. Like channel surfing, reading books, listening to music, that kind of thing...

10 gallons of my house ale this weekend so I am ahead of the curve... I need to have 3-4 kegs of that in reserve because it is way to popular with family and friends. And maybe an IPA of some sort, might do a Chinook SMASH... just 5 gallons of that. I like an IPA now and then is all.

Brewing up some Caribou Slobber tonight. Last of the (3) $19.99 NB kits I picked up a few months ago. Plan to bottle it and set it back for fall.

Transferring a 1gal batch of cider to secondary, and transferring a 3gal batch of mead to 3 different 1gal fermenters, each with a different flavor addition (Earl Gray, chamomile, and spruce).

Doing another 10 gal batch of the Westvleteren 12 clone. That is some damn fine Belgian liquid! My brother and I are teaming up and brewing tomorrow night because the heat is crazy in the day currently (96°, 104° index).

I'm hosting a brew day and homebrew club meeting at my house tomorrow. Four of us will be brewing in the morning and early afternoon then we're expecting another 10 to 15 people to come to the meeting at 2:30.

This is my first time to brew with other brewers also brewing so it should be interesting and I'm thinking the time will pass much quicker than normal. I'm brewing a Pliny the Elder clone for the first time fwiw.

Wookey Jack clone tomorrow... BIAB... Batch 5 of my brewing existence. They've all been good, but the last one went the 'smoothest' of all. Hoping for more incremental improvements!

Just about kicked the IPA keg, with an amber ale still mid-stride, and a Bells two hearted style IPA in the fermenter, to keg in a week or less.

Soooo going to do our pale ale, minus a pound of 2-row to make it a bit lighter, using mostly Cascade. I have an ounce of El Dorado, it will be the whirlpool hop at then end of the boil. Gonna see what that baby tastes like! Guy at the brew shop threw it into my bag gratis after I bought a 50 lb bag of 2-row. Sweet!

Wookey Jack clone tomorrow... BIAB... Batch 5 of my brewing existence. They've all been good, but the last one went the 'smoothest' of all. Hoping for more incremental improvements!

I did a Wookey Jack clone a few months back. Didn't have a great brew day but the beer turned out near perfect. I love it.

I let the husband decide this time, so I'm doing an Orange Coriander Wit tomorrow. Haven't ever done a Wit so it's about time. He had a Ram Barefoot Wit after work last night and liked it so I came up with the below for a 10 gallon batch (projected ABV around 5%):

16lbs 2 row
4lbs White Wheat
1oz Cascade at 60 (should be Goldings but I have Cascade on hand)
Orange Zest at 10 minutes to end of boil
Coriander seed at 10 minutes to end of boil
1/4 lb table sugar at 10 minutes to end of boil
Pinch of allspice at flameout
Ferment with a Belgian yeast at 68-70

Off to LHBS shortly to buy grains.

I am brewing a kitchen sink Amber Ale. I had some left over 2 row, Munich, and caramel. I am hopping with Magnum, Cascade and Centennial. I am using Bedford Ale yeast so I did a HochKurz step mash in an effort to make the wort more fermentable. We'll see.

I'm hosting a brew day and homebrew club meeting at my house tomorrow. Four of us will be brewing in the morning and early afternoon then we're expecting another 10 to 15 people to come to the meeting at 2:30.

This is my first time to brew with other brewers also brewing so it should be interesting and I'm thinking the time will pass much quicker than normal. I'm brewing a Pliny the Elder clone for the first time fwiw.

Always more fun to brew with others! Bouncing ideas, making plans, learning how others move through their brew day. It's the best. Watch out for that Pliny, I'm just finishing up the carb on my second batch and I'm probably going to kill the keg within 10 days!

At great risk of jinxing myself, so far everything is going great. Mash hasn't gotten stuck thanks to the new stainless braid, gravity is on point, borrowed my boss' big ass plate chiller which is now sanitized and ready to go, and have enough propane. This *might* be the smoothest brew day I've had in months. Fingers and all available appendages crossed.

AND I JUST HIT 90% EFFICIENCY ACCORDING TO BREWERS FRIEND, SORRY FOR YELLING BUT OMG OMG OMG!!!! I'm a bit excited.

I've got 10 gallons of wheat almost to boil right now. Picked 10lbs of blueberries yesterday. Berries in the freezer. 5 gal will be standard.5 will be blueberry. Never done fruit. Wish me luck

Can't remember if I posted about this already. Doing a small batch of apple spice ale for the fall. Just came up with this recipe while I was shopping for grains. Maris otter base malt, and a small amount of crystal malts 10 & 40. Apple pie spice blend at flame out. May add some apple cider or apple extract to the keg just because.

Had a weird one today. Aimed to get 50L in the kettle for 20-22L after evaporation, trub and hop losses times two as a split. Evaporation was normal at 2L/4%. Hop losses should have been another 3L. Some reason ended up with slightly under 20L in each. Transfer via plate chiller was a massive pain, everything seemed really blocked up in the kettle, took three times longer than usual. I used some pellets which is always a gamble, but a much lower ratio of pellet to leaf than I've used successfully in the past. I am pinning it on my wort being more cloudy than usual (high % oats, no vorlauf) maybe too many kettle finings (commercial stuff, only need 1.3g in 50L, difficult to measure) and my whirlpool to bring the temperature down for the hop stand produced cold break which was additional material to clog the filter. Can likely stand a minor dilution though when dry hopping.

Can't remember if I posted about this already. Doing a small batch of apple spice ale for the fall. Just came up with this recipe while I was shopping for grains. Maris otter base malt, and a small amount of crystal malts 10 & 40. Apple pie spice blend at flame out. May add some apple cider or apple extract to the keg just because.

That sounds awesome. I've been thinking of doing another apfelwein soon but also have been toying with the idea of using chopped apples or applesauce in a blonde base ale with some spices for a nice fall ale. Let us know how it turns out.

That sounds awesome. I've been thinking of doing another apfelwein soon but also have been toying with the idea of using chopped apples or applesauce in a blonde base ale with some spices for a nice fall ale. Let us know how it turns out.

I used home-made applesauce in the apple beer I just made. Stewing the apples in organic apple juice gives better flavor, I find. 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, and cloves each does the trick.

Making some Dandelion Saison today...

6 gal dechlorinated tap water
12 lb base 2row
1 lb carafoam
1 lb Vienna
2 lb wheat (little light on wheat I know)
1 oz perl @ 60 min
2 lb Dandelion, leaves, flowers and roots for 60 min
1 oz Saaz @ EOB
Danstar Belle Saison Dry yeast

dandelion.jpg

homebrew.jpg

I used home-made applesauce in the apple beer I just made. Stewing the apples in organic apple juice gives better flavor, I find. 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, and cloves each does the trick.

And now I'm drooling. Gee thanks! Sounds like a perfect fall harvest ale. I'm not a big fan of the pumpkin ales that will start showing up in September so this sounds like a great alternative. Know what I'm brewing last week in August now!!! I'm thinking of doing a nice blonde base mashed a bit low (148-150) and doing the apple additions in the last 10 minutes, also "dry" hop with maybe some fresh apple slices and more spices. Would want it to wind up a bit sweeter than a "standard" ale. Yep gonna run this one by the husband. That's what I love about HBT!!!

I've in the middle of a two week voluntary lay off, so time for a midnight brew!

Just put grains in the mash tun for a lawnmower beer using light munich, flaked barley, and flaked rye. Decided to give muntons yeast a try cause I'm like that. :p

I have brewed for 7(!) straight weekends now and want a break but really want one more batch to get made. I have room for 5 gal of California common so I can do that, then take a break.

Or not... Lol

I'm brewing an APA. Totally new recipe I came up with this week that uses Mosaic and Citra (might include some Amarillo too--not sure yet). I've never used ANY of these varieties before, so I'm excited to see how it turns out.

The boss and his wife are off to Mexico this weekend so me and the other assistant are in charge of kegging on Sunday. My fellow assistant has never done a "homebrew" batch (has only brewed on our boss' 6 bbl system) so I'm going to bring my little mash tun & keggle to the brewery and he's going to brew his first batch with some of my equipment. We'll use the brewery HLT and pumps. He lives in an apartment complex that frowns on anything going on the balcony so I thought this would chirk him up. He doesn't drive so it's up to me to go grain shopping on Saturday, the boss is happy to let us ransack his hop inventory as well as adjunct grains so all we have to provide is base grains. I've got enough yeast slurry at home to ferment 10 gallons. Going to do a Red IPA, with hop additions a' la 90 minute Dogfish Head at 5 minute increments (his idea, not mine). He's got a solid take on how to brew on a big system so it will be fun to show him how to use that knowledge to ramp down to a smaller batch. Most homebrewers get to go the opposite way so it's going to be interesting. Looking forward to it!

Back