Quit smoking today - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Quit smoking today

Old 04-15-2009, 01:17 AM   #1
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2008
Podunk, VA. Not far from the NC line.
Liked 33 Times on 14 Posts

I figured the easy way to handle the first day was to get hammered so I couldn't go buy any. Every time I wanted a cigarette, I started cleaning the house instead. I hate cleaning anything other than brew equipment. Actually I hate that too but have kept up on the epuipment since beerliness is next to cleanliness. Any way at this rate I wont be embarrassed for people to stop by and visit in about 3-10 days. Yah it is a mess, but I can see the curve of the earth now. I think I can, I think I can, Ah hell... I know I can!
primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:20 AM   #2
danorocks17
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Indianapolis, Indiana
Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts

good for you! I quit about 4 months ago, I smoked for five years. I don't even really think about it anymore. the hardest time for me was about 3 weeks in. although i admit, sometimes i have a smoke while i'm drinking with buddies

"blessing of your heart, you brew a good ale"

Old 04-15-2009, 01:38 AM   #3
Pf Brew
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Pflugerville, TX.

Congratulations! I smoked for 12 years and last weekend was 2 years smoke free. It can be done! I went cold turkey and after about 3-4 days it was all mental.
Some recommendations...drink lots of water and keep checking this thread. I'm sure there are a lot of us here who have been there and will lend support (online resources helped me A LOT!)

Good job, Cheers!

Primary: AHS American Brown Ale
Secondary: AHS West Coast Pale Ale
Keg: AHS Cream Ale
Up next: ? Still thinking

Old 04-15-2009, 01:43 AM   #4
llazy_llama

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Rapid City, South Dakota
Liked 90 Times on 28 Posts

As Pf Brew alluded, after about 3-4 days, all of the nicotene is out of your system. From there, it's all mental. If you're looking for tips to help you stay off the sticks, let us know. I quit smoking about a year ago, although I'm to a point now where I might have one or two if I'm out drinking with friends.

Good choice, man. Your lungs will thank you, and those evil staircases won't seem so bad!

Old 04-15-2009, 01:47 AM   #5
danorocks17
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Indianapolis, Indiana

yeah the mental is the hardest part. I got use to smoking to and from work, then on my lunch break. the physical habit was harder to break for me than the nicotine

Old 04-15-2009, 01:59 AM   #6
mr_goodwrench

Recipes 

Apr 2008
Auburn, GA
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Good for you! I quit nearly 6.5 years ago when we found out SWMBO was preggers with my daughter. I had tried several times before that but I needed a really good reason to make it stick. I wish you all the best as you kick the habit!

Old 04-15-2009, 02:03 AM   #7
danorocks17
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Indianapolis, Indiana

mrr goodwrench, your avatar is freaking hilarious!

Old 04-15-2009, 02:07 AM   #8
llazy_llama

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Rapid City, South Dakota
Liked 90 Times on 28 Posts

The hardest part to quitting, at least in my mind, is making up your mind that it's time to quit in the first place. People can try and force it on you, shove their stupid TV commercials down your throat, and otherwise try to encourage you, but it's a personal choice. Making that choice in the first place is 75% of the battle.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:12 AM   #9
nghtmre4u
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I quit on sunday.Good luck to you.My 7 yr old asked me saturday night to quit smoking so i would live longer so im done may have a cigar every once in a while tho

Old 04-15-2009, 02:12 AM   #10
rsmith179

Recipes 

Feb 2009
Cleveland, OH
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Woot! Good for you man. Been really thinking about quitting as well. Been eyeing up those plans for the Brutus 10 and figured out that at $7.00 per pack (Ohio) * 365 I could save over $2500 which would more than pay for the rig! That's enough to make me want to quit, after just a year's time. Keep it up bro!