Question about Wheat Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 30639

Reaction score
The next beer I'm making is Austin Homebrew's American Wheat. I thought I read on here earlier that when doing a wheat, leave it in the primary for two weeks or so and then bottle it.

I tried searching but couldn't find it. Is that correct, go from the primary to bottle, or am I making stuff up and saying I read it here?

Thanks.

Ya, you generally want to get wheat beers into the bottle about 3 weeks in (just make sure you hit the FG). This is for two reasons 1) Wheat beer isn't supposed to be clear, so secondary and prolonged primary to clear is unnecessary and 2) wheat beers are one of those styles that tastes better earlier on than it does when aged. Hope this helps. Good luck!

I've bottled wheat beers after 7 days of primary. Never had a prob, wheats are good beers to fill the gaps in your pipeline cause they are fast to finish. i cannot express how important making sure your at the proper FG before bottleing and fermentation is complete.

I'm about to bottle my wheat...Do you usually get a lot of sentiment in the bottle though? I was thinking about siphoning through a filter into my bottling bucket.

I'm about to bottle my wheat...Do you usually get a lot of sentiment in the bottle though? I was thinking about siphoning through a filter into my bottling bucket.

Typically, a wheat beer is unfiltered. There is a lot of sediment (or sentiment..lol) Some traditionalists even spin the bottle around to get the sediment good and suspended before opening and pouring.

Loop

Ya I am aware of the sediment (thanks for catching the spelling) :) but, when I sampled for a gravity reading I mean there was a ton of floating crap sediment...

I'd pretty much call that one of the nuances of wheat beers. My wife won't drink it for this reason, so I tell her to drink it in something other then a clear glass. :)

Loop

I just brewed my first wheat beer yesterday and wow that thing took off quick.

So what kind of filtering are you talking about? Just enough to get big particles out or are you talking enough to make it clear? Personally I'm not a fan of filtered wheats... that's just me though

if you siphon your beer through some sort of filter prior to bottling, there is a fair chance that you will have bad beer. Oxidation is not your friend

Well I would make sure to have my filter device sumberged, probably on the siphon inlet so the hose did not risk cloging. So there would be zero risk of oxidation, now if you are filtering it ad letting it splash into a bucket, there may be a problem.

Ya, you generally want to get wheat beers into the bottle about 3 weeks in (just make sure you hit the FG). This is for two reasons 1) Wheat beer isn't supposed to be clear, so secondary and prolonged primary to clear is unnecessary and 2) wheat beers are one of those styles that tastes better earlier on than it does when aged. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Three weeks is better than two, gives me more time to get bottles together. Thanks for the info :)

I was going to put a grain sock over the end of the siphon, just to keep the big particles from entering the beer

Back