Totally new from ohio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clipper

Reaction score
Hello All,
Totally new to home brewing,but my obsession with BBQ and Smoking (The brisket and ribs kind) has lead me to brewing as a natural extension. Tending the pit is thirsty work. I'll save my noob questions till I have spent more time looking around.

Clipper

It's also a good idea to put down what part of Ohio you are from. You may find a brewer living down the street!
You're not by chance from Covington are you? If so I see my MIL gave you the info. If not you think I'm crazy

My MIL told me about a guy she works with who started brewing so I gave her this site to give to him. If it's not you welcome anyway!

Thanks for the welcome Guys,
I found the site the old fashioned way Google. I'm from the northwest part of the state near Toledo, I'll try to fix that in my profile.

Clipper

Hello All,
Totally new to home brewing,but my obsession with BBQ and Smoking (The brisket and ribs kind) has lead me to brewing as a natural extension. Tending the pit is thirsty work. I'll save my noob questions till I have spent more time looking around.

Clipper
Greetings Clipper

+1 on Palmer's How to Brew. Many on here will refer this book. It's a concise overview of brewing.

Welcome :mug:

Welcome to the madness. I think you are the fouth person here from the area. There are two of us in T-town, one in P-burg and now you.:tank:

I'm new since Thanksgiving, but already have 4 good batches, and one unknown batch bottled, with 2 more batches fermenting. Going to try to brew up two more batches this weekend.

Prosit!:mug:

PS : Also +1 on Palmer's How to Brew website or book, and also, the bible Papazian's The Complete Joy of Homebrewing. You can get it at Barnes & Noble, Border's, or Titgemeier's, if you go there for ingredients.

Irreg, that is true...I was specifically talking about the immediate Toledo area...AFAIK, there is me and Hefeweizengeliebter in Toledo, Snyder in Perrysburg, and now Clipper in Sylvania...

Glad to know there's some experienced folks near by for when I get myself in trouble. The closest place I'm finding to get a real look at equipment is Ann Arbor, anyone have any other suggestions.

Clipper

Clipper -

The guys down at Titgemeier's on Western, east of the Trail are knowledgable. If you go a little farther afield, there is Winery and Homebrew Supply in downtown Dundee, east of Cabela's.

Titgemeier's has a good stock of beginning equipment and Brewer's Best kits. The guys are real good about sharing what they know.

In Dundee, they do a (approximately) monthly all grain brew, and you can take home the wort ready to ferment and just toss it in your ale pail/carboy.

Ann Arbor does have the closest active HB group that I've seen. Thought about attending one of their meetings, but usually they are on weeknights, and beers, a drive, and work early next morning don't add up.

Thanks for the info gentlemen I'm at Cabela's a lot anyway I'll look that one up. If there's a local drink and BS night I'd be interested.

Clipper

Howdy, I live in Perrysburg. Used to work at Highland Meadows a number of years ago. This is a great site here with tons of useful info. There's another LHBS in Bowling Green called Black Swamp Bootleggers. I've only been there once, and I wasn't too impressed, but it's another option. I second Titgemeier's. The guys there are really helpful.

Welcome! My inlaws are 10 minutes from you in Petersburg, MI. Spend a lot of time in Sylvania when I'm there, I'm a fan of Anderson's and Marino's Beverage Depot. :D :mug:

I'll be hitting the Anderson's tonight for some ribs for the weekend and perhaps something new to go with them.

Clipper

I wish we had Anderson's here. Wouldn't be the same though, with the BS Pennsylvania liquor laws. :mad:

Enjoy!

man i love andersons! ya, your liquor laws in pa suck, but cant you get kegs at the liquor store? i thought i remembered seeing kegs at a walmart...

Nope, only beer in cases and kegs at stores that only sell beer, soda/pop (whatever you want to call it ;) ), etc. Wine and liquor are sold at stores separate from the beer. Some bars sell sixers but you pay even more and they're few and far between. Product of the beloved Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board.

Welcome Clipper!

Tons of useful (and useless :) ) knowledge here. I read most of Palmer's How to Brew and frequented this site MANY times before my first brew. The biggest thing, dont be afraid to ask questions!

PROST :mug:

FireBrewer, didn't realize you are in hanover. i have some friends that are in that area. I wish ohio had utz chips. (crab chips and two hearted ale are a great combo)

FireBrewer, didn't realize you are in hanover. i have some friends that are in that area. I wish ohio had utz chips. (crab chips and two hearted ale are a great combo)

Yup, Snack Town USA...Utz, Synders, Frito-Lay just down the street...

Oh I am definitely going out and buying more Two Hearted Ale now! And crab chips! :D Thanks for the tip!

(sorry Clipper, not trying to threadjack :eek:)

nothing to worry about guys . I've had the two hearted but never heard of crab chips enlighten me...
Also just got in from the newer Anderson's by my house trying out some Warbird Mustang tonight.

nothing to worry about guys . I've had the two hearted but never heard of crab chips enlighten me...
Also just got in from the newer Anderson's by my house trying out some Warbird Mustang tonight.

The one on Talmadge? I got some Warbird beers from there, pretty good! Liked their Pale Ale.

Crab chips are potato chips with Old Bay seasoning on 'em:

UtzCrabChips.jpg

Soooo good!

new store at King and Sylvania Ave not a full general store just food and beer etc. We may have to order up a case of chips for the first home brew tasting but that is a ways off, looking at this remodel job.

new store at King and Sylvania Ave not a full general store just food and beer etc. We may have to order up a case of chips for the first home brew tasting but that is a ways off, looking at this remodel job.

Writing that down! Gonna check that out when I get back there in May! :D :rockin:

Back