Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Sanyo kegerator temp problems...

Old 02-07-2009, 04:02 AM   #1
GIusedtoBe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Sanyo kegerator temp problems...

Anybody had trouble keeping their Sanyo kegerators adjusted to the right temp? On mine, 5 is not cold enough and 6 = frozen. Very frustrating. I guess i will have to use the temp regulator off my lager fridge.

Regards,
Alan

Old 02-07-2009, 08:57 AM   #2
hopsalot
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 55

yah look on ebay I got mine for $50 and no wiring

http://bjsbrewery.blogspot.com/

Old 02-09-2009, 09:15 AM   #3
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have my Sanyo set on 4 and the temp stays fairly constant, with VERY little cycling of the compressor. What all do you have in it? I only have to cornies; do you have a CO2 tank in there as well? Maybe it's just poor air circulation throwing your thermostat off?

Old 02-09-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
GIusedtoBe
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRoToRiUm View Post
I have my Sanyo set on 4 and the temp stays fairly constant, with VERY little cycling of the compressor. What all do you have in it? I only have to cornies; do you have a CO2 tank in there as well? Maybe it's just poor air circulation throwing your thermostat off?

Maybe that is the problem. The tank is in the fridge but the 4 setting is to warm.

Regards,
Alan

Old 02-09-2009, 04:00 PM   #5
yermej
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A fan will definitely help even out the temp. Before a fan, when mine measured 40 F at the bottom, it was measuring almost 50 F at the top. This is a 4912 with two cornies and a 5# CO2 tank with dual pressure regulator. A small computer fan near the bottom has pretty much evened things out - no tubing or anything, just something to help circulate the air.

I keep mine at about 4 or a little lower and it stays around 40 F.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:45 PM   #6
GIusedtoBe
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yermej View Post
A fan will definitely help even out the temp. Before a fan, when mine measured 40 F at the bottom, it was measuring almost 50 F at the top. This is a 4912 with two cornies and a 5# CO2 tank with dual pressure regulator. A small computer fan near the bottom has pretty much evened things out - no tubing or anything, just something to help circulate the air.

I keep mine at about 4 or a little lower and it stays around 40 F.
Thanks for the tip, how did you power the fan?

Regards,
Alan

Old 02-11-2009, 09:50 PM   #7
yermej
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Right now I have an old Radio Shack DC power adapter. I cut off the end, ran the wire in thru the Sanyo drain hole, and wired it to the fan. The adapter has selectable voltages on it (12, 9, 7.5, etc.) so I have some control over the fan speed. I've heard of others doing the same with mobile phone chargers - pretty much any AC -> DC adapter will work for a DC fan as long as it has decent voltage (PC fans are usually 12 volts).

Ideally (and maybe eventually), I'd wire the fan into the fridge wiring so it would be powered by the fridge and only run when the compressor is running. Or I might wire it into the fridge power so it stays on all the time - I'm not sure if that's necessary though. If I go with either of those options, I'll get an AC powered fan.