lacing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockettbrews

Reaction score
i always get great head, but no lacing or head retention??? What can I do for lacing?? I started putting carapils in my beer, but havent drank any to see if that helps.

most of my head issues comes from the glasses i pour them in. lipids (oils) don't react well with beer. remember that old college trick of getting rid of the foam after you poured a cup of natty light by rubbing your nose with your finger and then placing your finger in your beer?

i put a little extra effort into cleaning my beer glasses in order to remove any lipids from them so my beer pours nice and purrty.

if no luck...increase carbonation levels.

if still no luck...try incorporating barley (non-malted) into your recipe. that's what Guinness uses, and there head is mighty purrty.

i never had much luck with carapils in terms of head retention. i noticed carapils increased the body of my beer quite a bit but nothing special with the head.

It's glassware. Many/most beers (commercial or otherwise) will lace a glass provided the vessel is clean.

if youre getting great head quit complaining. You could have great lacing and NOT be getting any head... thats WAY worse.

Brewski is right, no lacing is from dirty glasses.

When you are transferring your beer from primary to secondary, or into a bottling bucket or keg, are you getting foam then? The proteins that make the head only work once and if you are wasting them before they make it to your glass then you could have head retention issues.

OHIOSTEVE said:
if youre getting great head quit complaining. You could have great lacing and NOT be getting any head... thats WAY worse.

I would never complain about getting great head...

what is the best way to clean your glasses??? with what??? another question i put the same beer in a frozen mug, the whole mug was head, is that because the mug was cold?? because as soon as the mug warmed up no head???

Also, try washing a few glasses by hand instead of in the dishwasher. Jet dry will kill your head, and remains in the dishwasher mechanism even after the reservoir appears empty.

what is the best way to clean your glasses???

A salt and/or baking soda paste works like a champ, rinse with super hot water.

There's some YouTube videos by TakeSomeAdvice - that guy has lots to say about head and lacing.

Glasses pay a huge part. I have never had great lacing on my brew. I just brought a growler over to a buddies house on Saturday and he had 2 brand new beer glasses for the occasion. Anyways, when we were done, the whole glass was laced. I've never seen my beer like that. It was perfect.

takesomeadvice have watched his videos i think he is fake. i have firgued him out. frozen glasses and overcarbonation. have you seen a video from him in a year???

Also, try washing a few glasses by hand instead of in the dishwasher. Jet dry will kill your head, and remains in the dishwasher mechanism even after the reservoir appears empty.

THIS. I don't ever wash my beer glasses by hand. I thought someone told me not to use soap if at all possible. I generally rinse my glass with HOT water and wipe clean. :)

So I guess I did a good job cleaning! Never had my homebrew lace all that well before.

image-858876761.jpg

remember that old college trick of getting rid of the foam after you poured a cup of natty light by rubbing your nose with your finger and then placing your finger in your beer?

That works? I would always stick my finger in my ear........ :( lol

i love when take some advice is making his first all grain and he is wearing gloves and a mask on his face. So funny!!!

i didn't know what you were talking about until i actually looked up takesomeadvice (TSA) on youtube...

guy really seems to like lacing...and old mil.

Latest posts

Back