How far down does the chugger pump have to be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
just a general question, i'm wanting to build a two teir brewstand, however, i'm not sure if my design will work because the HLT is not going to be very high off the ground and the MLT will be prolly 2 feet above that, will that work? or will the HLT need to be up higher?

TIA!

I'm by no means the best source for this, but for what it's worth, in my initial all grain setup I had my MLT (orange 10 gallon cooler) sitting on a milk crate, so less than a foot above the ground, and my pump just sat on the ground, input/output to the sides (instead of top/bottom) and never had issues priming it, pumping to the BK which was on the stove. I've definitely read enough others having issues with better clearance than that, so your mileage may vary.

You should be fine- I'm currently using a Chugger sitting on the ground and my kettle is just sitting on propane burner, those aren't very high. Works well.

Back