How do I calculate the amount of priming sugar I need if want to keg most of a batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natewv

Reaction score
So I keg but am getting to where I want to bottle some of it for my homebrew club, family, who knows maybe a comp, etc.

I guess I could keg it all and then bottle after it's carbed, but i don't feel like buying extra equipment to do so, plus i'd prefer to get it all out of the way on kegging day.

I cant seem to find any advice on this...any ideas?

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html as long as you know the amount you are bottling.

hmm. ok, i think it would just be a guess though. Like I may stop kegging at 1.5 G, but it's difficult to guess how much of that 1.5 G is trub or not.

Also, I would typically not rack to a bottling bucket when I keg, just siphon from my secondary (or primary)...so how would I add the priming sugar?

Would I possibly keg what I think I want to keg, then siphon the rest off into a sanitized bottling bucket, in that situation I could easily determine the amount of beer I am bottling...that seems like a lot of work but I guess it's what I need to do?

Back