Infected! with pics...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JNye

Reaction score
so short version this is a maris otter/saaz SMaSH that I made a 5 gallon batch with and split into 5, 1 gallon jugs to experiment with...the one i put the mulberries in got infected.:(
All i did was froze the mulberries for about 3 weeks before i racked on top of them. maybe this was my issue. The main question I have is this just gonna be a lambic?please:p I know its prolly over and gone but a guy can wish right. Next time i'll soak them in vodka first huh?
SAM_0494.jpg

As I understand freezing will not necessarily kill bad bacteria in fruit you should pasteurize it by holding it at 160 for 20 minutes. At least that is what I've always done with fruit beers and it hasn't done me wrong n

Looks like surface mold. Definitely rack from under it and bottle.

What I am wondering, is why in the name of GOD you put that mess in a glass carboy.

That'll be fun to clean.

My kraeusen makes a bigger mess than whats pictured here. Maybe you have magic yeast that doesnt make a mess inside your c'boys. Tell us your secret! haha!

I think he is referring to how you plan to get the fruit out of that tiny opening, now that it's swelled up with beer. I always rack my fruits in buckets because cleaning out a carboy or better bottle is a total nightmare with fruit in there.

I think he is referring to how you plan to get the fruit out of that tiny opening, now that it's swelled up with beer. I always rack my fruits in buckets because cleaning out a carboy or better bottle is a total nightmare with fruit in there.

It wouldn't be too hard. After racking, just mash it all up with a long rod of some sort and swirl with some warm water, then pour it all out!

.. But certainly a lot harder than a bucket.

It wouldn't be too hard. After racking, just mash it all up with a long rod of some sort and swirl with some warm water, then pour it all out!

.. But certainly a lot harder than a bucket.

Yeah I've done fruit in glass carboys before. It's not as hard as they make it sound. For me the hard part was getting the fruit IN, not out.

When I do fruit, I make a puree and pour it in with a funnel. When the first three letters spell "fun", how could you go wrong? This method has worked fantastic for my raspberry beers. The finished pint's aroma can be smelled from across the room, and there is hardly a speck of fruit left in the beer after racking.

Indeed wierdboy, a bucket would be the goto, a better bottle is second because it is so much easier to invert, shake, bang on the counter, etc.

I use buckets almost exclusively now.

I know what happens in there, I don't need to see it anymore.

1 gallon???????

I thought that was some huge fruit!lol.

Forget it, that will be easy enough to clean, or just stick it in the recycling.

yeah I'm not worried about cleaning it at all, that'll be no problem. I'm not sure if i should
1) rack to secondary and see if the infection persists in there.
2) rack to secondary, then bottle a day or two later
3) leave it for awhile(but how long).

any insight on what it is and consequences would be nice too.

i'm leaning toward #2 and giving it a taste to see if its even worth bottling.

Honestly I'd leave it for awhile and see how the taste develops. Wouldn't want to bottle it if for some reason it's ruined (though I don't see this as being the case).

yeah, just leave it be. how long has it been in there? it kinda has that furry brettanomyces look to it... anyhoo, it's only a gallon, let it ride and see what happens.

its been in there a couple weeks. think i noticed the possible infection Friday, by Saturday morning it was obvious. I'll take a gravity reading and taste tonite.

took a gravity of 1.008, about the same it was when i racked it to the 1 gallon vessels...the taste was good. It tasted like a white zinfendal or something...i never drink wine so excuse my likely bad description...just a nice sweet tart flavor. Not something i would want 5 gallons of or anything. I think I will let it ride and see if it sours, cause i think that would make it more interesting to me.
I have foil over the top of the jug, should i switch to an airlock or leave the foil.

Back