Cappucccino Stout Recipe Feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feedbag

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have some black patent and chocolate malt that I need to use before they go stale. I want to try to do a sweet coffee stout and call it a Cappuccino Stout. I have the recipe below and wanted to know if this would work. Everything is spot on in BeerSmith, but I just want to make sure the taste will be right with the grain bill. In these tough times I am trying to avoid buying much more grain. Let me know what you guys think and thanks for the help.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 3.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 39.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 20.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 68.97 %
0.75 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 10.34 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.90 %
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 20.3 IBU
1.00 lb Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 13.79 %
12 oz Ground Coffee(see notes)
1 Pkgs SafAle US Ale (DCL Yeast US-05) Yeast-Ale

Notes:
---------------
I plan on brewing the coffee ahead of time, maybe two full pots, and using it with my top off water.

I highly recommend "dry hopping" with ground coffee. I did this for my Terrapin Oatmeal Coffee RIS clone, which turned out great.

I highly recommend "dry hopping" with ground coffee. I did this for my Terrapin Oatmeal Coffee RIS clone, which turned out great.

So, grind the coffee a little coarse and put it in the secondary? How much and for how long?

So, grind the coffee a little coarse and put it in the secondary? How much and for how long?

I ground it coarse and added as much as I could fit into one of those big tea balls. I left it for 2 days. I wanted to get a really big coffee flavor/aroma. This did the trick.

I ground it coarse and added as much as I could fit into one of those big tea balls. I left it for 2 days. I wanted to get a really big coffee flavor/aroma. This did the trick.

I might do it this way, how would the taste differ from brewing regular coffee like my original plan? Also, how does my grain bill look, will they make a good stout flavor?

I think your grain bill looks great for a cream stout - 3/4 lb for the black and 1/2 lb for the chocolate is spot on!

Of you already have the yeast, use it, if you're going to be buying it anyway, you might consider Danstar's Windsor or Fermentis' Safale US-04. I recently used Windsor for a cream stout and it's the best i've ever made. The recipe is in the database, if you're interested - I didn't use coffee, the roasted barley added enough roast for me, it ended up with a definite sweetened espresso flavor. Cheers!

I think the recipe looks good too. As far as taste of the coffee, I think "dry hopping" the coffee gives it a fresher taste if that makes sense. You also aren't diluting your beer with extra coffee. It really depends on what you want. The direct steep method gives a very direct, in your face coffee flavor and aroma. Adding brewed coffee is going to be more subtle.

Thanks for the great feedback guys, I think I'm gonna go for it with my recipe, but I'll secondary the coffee.

Back