Bottle Conditioning a Big Oak Aged Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crisis

Reaction score
I have a beer I brewed for the holidays that has been aging in oak for about 6 months.

It is about 9% ABV, and I'm assuming the yeast is dead by now?

What would be a good yeast/process to use to bottle condition it?

Should I make a yeast starter, and also make my normal priming solution, and then just combine them with the beer in the bottling bucket?

What kind of yeast should I try, maybe Belgian? I want something that won't have difficulty with the alcohol, but I don't want to dry it out or take too much flavor away. It already tastes great!

Any tips are appreciated!

I think it might carb without, but I think just using some nottingham would work fine. I've used it to ferment to 11% w/o problems. What yeast did you use to ferment?

What was the base style to your beer? For a clean condition, you should use a simple American Ale yeast. Use the basic priming proceedure you'd use for any beer. I kegged mine after 7 months and aged it until this week.

Wild

It was a Scottish Ale yeast. So you think a clean yeast like American Ale won't have any trouble with the high starting alcohol?

Back