Phew, my yeasties are alive!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctufano

Reaction score
Did my first brew ever on Tuesday, pitched yeast from a pack that didnt swell much, and it sat idle for a while. I let it run its course and when I came home last night, it was finally starting to put some air thru my blow off.

I got home and saw there were some bubbles in star-san solution and left door open on minifridge and heard a small 'blurb' ... waited, nothing. Figured it was the cat bumping into the fridge

This morning I'm getting a blurb just about every 3 seconds, and a decent amount of foam goin. I was expecting a more active ferment with lots of krausen based on pics (this is Cheesefood Caramel Cream), but we'll see how it is when I get home tonight

Here are some pics -- in the one with the true brew bucket, it looks like the lid isnt even on all the way! I'll have to check that, but I'm pretty sure it is, since I checked several times. Also, temp stays between 60 and 63 due to my johnson controls thermostat

31168_674828131979_12815781_37832709_3623314_n.jpg

31168_674828141959_12815781_37832710_780179_n.jpg

31168_674828146949_12815781_37832711_7095975_n.jpg

You should definitely check the lid. That will impact airlock activity. Don't expect all yeast strains to have super high krausen, and explosive fermentation. Some will and some won't. Being that you are fermenting at a relatively low temp (although it is the appropriate temp for a cream ale yeast) fermentation will likely be slower and less vigorous than other types of yeast.

Yeast are heartier than you'd think.
I accidentally froze a smack pack of Kölsch yeast solid.
Then, about a week later, I smacked it when I woke up. It didn't swell at all in a few hours, so I decided to wait a week and get another pack.
Glad I didn't. I came home from work the next day and it was nearly solid from the CO2. When I pitched it 6 days later, it took right off.
That was a BMCo3C. My best batch yet.

Just checked lid, its definitely sealed. Bubbling out at 50 bubbles a minute, as well. Relieved.

Back