Is this SCOBY healthy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kombucha326

Reaction score
I am on my second (larger batch) of Kombucha. this SCOBY looks different from the one in my previous batch. I do not see any mold (fuzzy stuff) on it but it looks kind of iridescent blue. Please see attached picture. TIA, John.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=336009&stc=1&d=1454870023

kombucha.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. It smells like it should and I am tempted to taste it to see. I'm obviously a newbie so can anyone give me some advice before I taste or dump it? Thanks, John.

Are the areas that look darker just thin? I see a bunch of blueish scobys that are just camera flash or fluorescent lighting.

If there's no mold, and it smells right, I'd try it.

Thanks theDREWery. I didn't use a flash and the lighting in the room was not fluorescent. I have attached a few I took with a flash to give a better/different view. I have seen similiar ones (not exactly this color and texture) in images posted online. I am brewing at 68 to 70 degrees. I am going to give it a taste tomorrow if I dont see any mold. All avice/opinions are welcome. Sorry for not being succinct.

DSCN0653.jpg

DSCN0655.jpg

DSCN0656.jpg

My first batch was 100% organic black tea, this batch was approximately 50% Black tea and 50% green tea with hibiscus.

It does look a little funky but if there's no mold then tasting it is about the only thing to do. If you do bottle it and the appearance of the SCOBY bothers you, you can just chuck it and start a new batch with starter tea.

Yes, I was thinking about bottling it and then chucking it (the mother). I think that after I taste it and determine that it is good then i will do that. I have another Mother that I can use for my next batch. I will give an update (if anyone cares) on the final product. Thank you for your feedback, John.

Looking at the new shots, I'm pretty sure the dark areas are just where it's thin. They all look kinda strange when they first form, but as long as vinegar is forming it should be okay.

Back