What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent most of the week trying out beer in Vietnam during a business trip. The local beer is all uninspiring light lager in the US mode. Tried a couple of microbrews that were better but nothing notable.

That said, bigger places offer some nice European beers Steiger (Slovakia), Budvar (Czech), Dinkelacker (Ger), etc. Some of it on tap like this Steiger 3 liter serving container with a cooling tube in the middle filled with ice. I had never even heard of Steiger before, but it was quite nice. I hadn't had the Budvar dark before, and it was fine but my palate prefers Urquel.

Vietnamese food/beer hall with the Steiger serving container:

upload_2019-11-15_20-2-46.png

Ordered some more Nottingham yeast on Amazon today; the batch I've been using for 4 generations needs to be buried at sea. I had another fresh packet but donated it to a friend for his latest batch. Also sitting here after a long workday sipping on my NB blonde that is, to me, truly spectacular. Strongly tempted to brew another batch of it on Sunday, but ferment fridge is taken up with WF lager that is lagering at 45 for a week, so can't. Darn it.

Last night I did a really fast DME with soaking grains and Sorachi Ace hops. Kind of a throwaway batch. Let it cool overnight and then split batch into 2 fermenters that hopefully have been cleaned of the pichia apotheca yeast. Dang, that stuff is difficult to get rid off.

Pitched one with Opshaug Kviek strain and one with Windsor. About 2 gallons each. Will know soon enough if pichia remains, and if it does these fermenters are going in the trash.

Also, not sure what the Sorachi Ace tastes like in homebrew. I've drunk far more than my fair share of Sapporo when living in Japan, so I've had Sorachi Ace before. That said, Japanese lagers are not hop forward, so no real impression on the Sorachi Ace.

I'm gearing up when it gets a bit colder to
a) make a second batch of sake, and
b) do the moto and moromi stages, then pitch a nice beer wort hopped with Sorachi and see what comes out.

Saturday I judged in my first every competition - interesting experience. None of the ones I had were great, though 1 medalled. More excited for getting a gold for my first ever Belgian strong dark ale with a 39.
Moving soon, so kegged a couple of the aging beers yesterday for easier transport.

Ordered ingredients for my next several brews. Trying my hand at few lagers this winter, and also purchased some grains and hops that I haven't tasted, so a few small batch ales will be coming up as well. I'm excited for lagers and Keller or two.

Hopefully I'm set for another 3-4 months. Unless theres a good sale...

Yeah, I bought a bunch of random items off a brewer here on HBT about six months ago. There was a hydrometer and test jar included. Bound to happen at some point!

Went shopping all day. First to Home Depot for wood for beer crates and buckets for grain storage, then to the LHBS for various yeasts and hops. Also picked up another dozen champagne bottles. Then grocery shopping for meat and a six-pack of Guinness extra, and 24 gallons of distilled water.
Actually have everything I need for the next brewday (Westmalle tripel clone), but I'm beat. Maybe tomorrow.

I kegged 6 gal each of three different beers. A Blonde Session, a Dark Mild, and a Whiskey Barrel Aged (6 months) Black IIPA.
In the process of cleaning all the fermentors and other equipment.
I also cleaned three kegs and relocated several to make room for the new kegs. Two beers are keg conditioning.
I currently have no room for more kegs yet I’m brewing tomorrow with my daughter.
At least there’s room in my ferm chamber!
I’m tired!

Drank a few (kinda) pints while changing the oil in the passat this morning. Good thing it was only a few because had to make three trips to various stores for first the oil & filter, then another one when I couldn't find my 19mm impact socket, and yet ANOTHER store because my oil filter wrench flew the coop. Leaving me with no choice but to brew something tomorrow to make up for today. Car runs great though.

Drank a few (kinda) pints while changing the oil in the passat this morning. Good thing it was only a few because had to make three trips to various stores for first the oil & filter, then another one when I couldn't find my 19mm impact socket, and yet ANOTHER store because my oil filter wrench flew the coop. Leaving me with no choice but to brew something tomorrow to make up for today. Car runs great though.

Sounds like my day.

You could have had the dealer do it for less (time & parts) and gotten a car wash in the same time and not wasted drinking time!

Assisted brewing a christmas cookie beer at work that resembles a belgian dark ale somewhat with cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, lactose and molasses. They wanted it done by the 10th of December, so hornindal kveik it is! Lol

Last edited:

Now that you've finished the job, go back out to the garage in the morning, and that socket and filter wrench will be right where you were looking for them. Never fails. It's the tool gods' way of making us increase our collection.

Now that you've finished the job, go back out to the garage in the morning, and that socket and filter wrench will be right where you were looking for them. Never fails. It's the tool gods' way of making us increase our collection.

Been there, done that, got the tee shirt! (and about 6 19mm sockets)

Been there, done that, got the tee shirt! (and about 6 19mm sockets)
Still haven't found them...but did apparently find a magic propane tank that should have been empty, but had enough to get the strike going for this morning's brew. As for the sockets, I've got about 6 10mm sockets in my toolbox but can never find one when it's needed....and of COURSE everything is 10mm dammit.
You could have had the dealer do it for less (time & parts) and gotten a car wash in the same time and not wasted drinking time!

Where's the fun in that? Dealer charges $140 to do an oil change on this damn car anyway. That's $$ I can spend on brewing! And I love working on cars almost as much as I love brewing. Yes I'm weird.

Mulched all the hop plants in preparation for the storm coming in for Thanksgiving.

Went to LHBS and bought a couple more floating dip tubes for two of my kegs (only two more to go!). Also, found out one of my new (used) kegs had some sort of tapered plastic gas-in post. Drilled that out and put in a standard SS gas in-post.

While I was brewing the tripel, found a large, thick silicone washer (while looking for my WhirlFloc)! In between waiting times for the mash and boil, finally fixed the leak at the valve on my 20 gallon BK. If I'd done that a wee bit sooner, could have made a double batch today. Obie wellbie, I'm out of Saaz anyway. More coming in the mail, but with the Thanksgiving holiday, I'm not sure when.

EDIT: And, I found the WhirlFloc! Naturally, it was right next to the silicone washer:ghostly:

EDIT AGAIN: I cut a WhirlFloc tab in half, and found both halves today.:smh:

Last edited:
Back