Stupid question about dip tubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gkeusch

Reaction score
So if you use a dip tube in your BK, then when you run out your wort, once the level gets below the ball valve (or maybe before that, I guess) you are basically siphoning. I saw a DIY dip tube out of copper with an elbow designed for soldered connections but it didn't look like they were soldered. If they aren't soldered, wouldn't air get sucked in through the fittings and break the siphon?

Depends on how tight the fittings fit. By the end of a boil, if the fittings are well-made and mate together snugly, any build-up of sticky wort might seal them up well enough to maintain the siphon. If the fitting or pipe or both are any kind of beat up or just don't fit snugly, then yes I would think the siphon would break.

My diptube used to be soldered on, but from years of the chiller hitting it, the solder broke, but the diptube is ok. Been using it with it not being soldered for 3 or 4 years. My connections are snug, though, and I can still get all but the sludge out of my bk.

It's also not necessarily an all or nothing situation. A non-soldered fitting may let air into the siphon line, just not enough volume or quickly enough to break the siphon. So, the rate of liquid movement would be reduced, but not necessarily fail altogether.

I picked up an Anvil dip tube and will be using it for the first time this weekend. I can post my results/impressions if you'd like.

http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Anvil_Brewing_Dip_Tube_p/anvil-brew-dip-tube.htm

I just picked up the anvil dip tube for my kettle. Test fitted it and it won't pick up the liquid when the level drops. Seems My threads on inside of kettle aren't long enough to get a proper seal. Maybe have to buy a 1/2 female to male adapter to get it to seal properly. How'd yours seal up

I just installed a Spike Brewing dip tube in my Polar Ware kettle. A fitting is hand screwed into the kettle and the tube itself simply pushes in/ pulls out. No tools.

I just picked up the anvil dip tube for my kettle. Test fitted it and it won't pick up the liquid when the level drops. Seems My threads on inside of kettle aren't long enough to get a proper seal. Maybe have to buy a 1/2 female to male adapter to get it to seal properly. How'd yours seal up

Sorry for the late reply.

Mine works no problem. The seal is quite tight when it's screwed on; I can still turn it, but there's resistance.

Ended up picking up a different dip tube setup in my bk. Still have the anvil may convert it for use in my HLT. Or it will collect dust. We will see.

Back