Wyeast 1056 fermentation characteristics?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bergman1118

Reaction score
I was just wondering if the 1056 Wyeast (Am. Ale) is a pretty mellow fermenting yeast...? hjust did my 4th batch (a pumpkin ale) using 1056 for the first time, and I just noticed that this fermentation has been a LOT more mellow than the others I have done so far.. I use a 5 gallon carboy w/ a blowoff setup, and with this batch there was hardly anything blown off.. but with previous batches a quart or more (plus massive amounts of krausen) was blown off. I pitched the yeast on thursday night, noticed activity w/ in 10 hours, and went out of town until sunday PM. I came back home and there was indeed activity going on, just not as active as I had expected w/ this recipe (did a PM w/ about 4 lbs of grains and 6 lbs LME). The krausen is already almost dropped out as well. I'm not worried about anything as it seems to be going fine, but was just curious about how actively 1056 ferments.

Fermentation can be based on temperature conditions, recipes, how much is pitched etc etc.

I wouldnt worry about it, if its working, its fine.

like i said, i'm not worried. was only wondering if 1056 was notorious for being a pretty mellow fermenting strain or not.. or if there are strains out there that more vigorously ferment than others or if this is based solely on a combination of conditions like recipe, temp, starter/no starter, etc

I used that yeast on a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone. The starter had a nice krausen to it. Fermentation started quickly and had about 2 inches of krausen in the carboy. There was no threat of blow off with it on mine.

Back