Better Bottle Ideal Size Opinion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What would be your ideal Better Bottle primary size out of these choices?

• I use glass, buckets, or stainless and could care less about better bottles.

• The current 6 gallon is fine

• I would rather see them at 6.5g and would be willing to pay a few dollars more.

• 7g would be better and I'd be willing to pay up to 50% more for it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I like Better Bottles but they'd be a lot better if they offered a 6.5 or 7 gallon version (IMHO) to leave more headspace on a 5 or even 5.5g batch.

I asked them why they don't make them bigger and they said:

"Actually, there is not a lot of agreement about the ideal size of the 6
gallon carboy. And many people want to perform their primaries in a pail,
regardless. There are a log of reasons why we do make the sizes that we do
(See our FAQ pages for discussion). In a nut shell, making the 6 gallon even
1/2" larger in diameter or 1/2" taller would increase the cost by nearly
50%."

Now, I'd like to see what this community thinks about ideal sizes. I think we all agree that 5 gallons is the appropriate size for secondary use so I'm only talking about the larger "primary".

I'd like a 6.5 gallon one to be made; for primary fermentation, with all the CO2 that's being produced, you could probably ferment in a 10 gallon BB and have no issues. I'm curious why it would cost them so much more to make it SLIGHTLY larger, if that's just an issue of how their machinery is set up, or what; certainly, you're not adding 50% to your materials and your shipping costs.

6 gallons is a better size for winemakers, though, isn't it? Isn't that why glass carboys come in both 6 and 6.5 gallons? Maybe they figure that a homebrewer is more apt to deal with a BB that's a half-gallon smaller than the ideal, but a home winemaker won't touch a BB that's too big.

I'd prefer the 6g bottles to be 6.5g instead. They mention weight as being the reason they don't make bigger ones, but I don't see how .5 gallons weigh that much more. I could see anything over 7 gallons being too cumbersome though...

I use 6.5-gal glass carboys as my primary fermenters. I've never really felt too great using buckets...plastic...scratches...places for stuff to hide. 6.5 gallons for a carboy, though, is typically enough to avoid the necessity of a blowoff tube for most brews. I don't like to go lower than that, because then a blowoff tube is an inevitability and I end up losing some beer.

Personally, if I were to use a plastic vessel for my primary ferment, I would just use a bucket again. Big, cheap, easier to clean. I can't see myself coughing up the extra cash for a really expensive BB.

Bobby_M said:
I like Better Bottles but they'd be a lot better if they offered a 6.5 or 7 gallon version (IMHO) to leave more headspace on a 5 or even 5.5g batch.

I haven't had a problem with the 6 & a blowoff tube as far as headspace issues....course my really massive blowoff beers have all been fermented in pails previously for the clean up advantages already mentioned.

I like to get 5.75g into the fermenter so I can top off the keg and bottle a few. Admittedly though, I've successfully fermented 5.5 in the 6g better bottle with good fermentation temp control. The reason I like better bottles is so that I can see what's happening (it's fun) and the reason I don't like glass is because of the weight and danger of schrapnel.

I'd actually speculate that the larger size would screw up their pallet packing. Perhaps a slightly larger size would cause them to pull 5 units off a full pallet. That would increase distribution costs.

Bobby_M said:
I like to get 5.75g into the fermenter so I can top off the keg and bottle a few. Admittedly though, I've successfully fermented 5.5 in the 6g better bottle with good fermentation temp control. The reason I like better bottles is so that I can see what's happening (it's fun) and the reason I don't like glass is because of the weight and danger of schrapnel.

I'd actually speculate that the larger size would screw up their pallet packing. Perhaps a slightly larger size would cause them to pull 5 units off a full pallet. That would increase distribution costs.

I think your on the right track here.

The bigger the bottle, the thicker the plastic needs to be to handly the weight of the wort. Bigger sizes require bigger mold presses. Maybe a 6.5 gallon is the biggest size the current press and hold and going to 7 requires a new bigger press which is slower and increases production costs.

Linc

TexLaw said:
I like my 6 gallon Better Bottle, but I really, really want a 6.5 gallon one.

I agree. I always attach a blow off, a few times I have really had a big fermentation that made a little mess. I think most of my fermentations would be contained in a 6.5 gallon.

In response to the response Bobby got from the Better Bottle folks: I do like how the 6 gallon is barely bigger than the 5 gallon. I had the 5 gallon first and was worried that the 6 gallon would not fit in my fridge. I was relieved to find that it was only slightly fatter and about the same height.

Maybe I'm just obsessing about it for no reason. I've fermented 5.5g of wheat beer in the 6gallon and only lost maybe 2-4 ounces of blowout. If I didn't have strict temp control, I'm sure it would be worse. I just like pushing the boundaries of batch yield given that 10 or 12 gallons basically takes the same exact amount of work. I very well might go to 8 gallon bucket primaries and start using the 6g better bottles as secondaries. Fill the kegs to the top and bottle 8- 22oz bombers.

missing link said:
I think your on the right track here.

The bigger the bottle, the thicker the plastic needs to be to handly the weight of the wort. Bigger sizes require bigger mold presses. Maybe a 6.5 gallon is the biggest size the current press and hold and going to 7 requires a new bigger press which is slower and increases production costs.

Linc

Someone on another forum who worked in the water bottling industry said that they looked exactly the same as the watercooler bottles in regards to the lip at the top and the way it's made to seal around the cooler, or something along the lines of that.

Maybe they're using pre-made molds from the watercooler industry and just don't want to fork out for getting new molds? And also the risk factor of making a whole new mold and no having the item sell.

Bumping a really old thread.

It's time for 7g+ plastic fermenters, no?

Hoppy beers have created massive trub....I need more room.

Check out the Fermonster! It's a plastic fermenter with a larger opening like a Big Mouth Bubbler but seems a bit more durable. Plus it comes in a 7 gallon model! Adventures In Homebrewing has them for $30, and Label Pealers had them for less. I think it was cheaper but they're out right now.

I asked them once, and IIRC, the answer was something along those lines.

I was using the 6g BB, but I switched to SS Tech's Brew Bucket.

Latest posts

Back