Secondary Clearing tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cregar

Reaction score
I am about ready to rack to my secondary and had a quick question... I have been fermenting in a 5 cubic foot Chest Freezer, I was wondering if I could rack to my secondary and then lower the temp in the freezer to help clear the beer more. If so, what temp should I take the freezer too? and how long should I leave it in there?

Thanks

Assuming this is an ale? I'd leave it at your primary fermentation temp until you hit a total of 4-5 weeks fermentation time (primary + secondary). Then you can cool it for a couple days at 34-40 to clear it before bottling.

Bike N Brew said:
Assuming this is an ale? I'd leave it at your primary fermentation temp until you hit a total of 4-5 weeks fermentation time (primary + secondary). Then you can cool it for a couple days at 34-40 to clear it before bottling.

I assume at bottling time you would separate the beer from the sediment by siphoning the cold beer into your a bucket, and then bottling. Does cooling like this negatively affect the ability of the beer to carbonate in the bottles?

its a slim chance that you'll clear the beer too much for it to bottle carbonate.
but if you bottle and keep it cooler, it takes longer to carbonate. most carbonate at room temp, then cold condition after a couple weeks.

my personal preference is a 2 week secondary, tops.

Back