Mounting Taps Inside Fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xinunix

Reaction score
Ok, trying to avoid drilling holes in the fridge and don't really have room for another chest freezer but I don't want to fill another bottle so I am ready to start kegging.

Looking for advice on these two options:

1. Should I go with picnic taps for now and just find some way to mount/hang them to keep them from dripping and making a mess?

OR

2. Should I go ahead and make the investment in SS shanks and perlick faucets and come up with some way to mount them inside the fridge?

Any issues with doing #2? Has anyone done it and have pictures or experiences to share?

Based on what you're looking to do I'd probably go with something like this from one of the retailers here on HBT. This is a Ball Lock QD Faucet Assembly and attaches directly to the out post on your keg. The pic I attached is from MoreBeer.

pic.jpg

You'll have to come up with something to catch the drops. A towel on the floor is what I used to use. Or perhaps a plastic container with slits cut in it and a stap around the keg to keep it under the faucet. Poor mans drip tray.

FYI: I've since installed a shank in my kegerator but I still use this assembly when I clean and sanitize my kegs.

I am in the same boat.

I am using 5' hose with picnic taps. I have coiled it (3 wraps) and tie wrapped into a loop. The loop sits on top of the keg with the tap hanging over the outside edge of the loop. The loop is slightly smaller in diameter than the top of the keg.

When it is time to pour, I grab the loop and swing it out to pour position. The loop rotates on the ball lock.

The only down side is my fridge runs a lot and I have a lot of condensation from opening the door so much.

If you do go the faucet/shank route, just mount them on a small piece of plywood, or a 2x4, and place that inside the fridge. I did that for a bit while I was planning everything out before I drilled the holes in my fridge.

I'm still using picnic taps. My kegerator is an unmodified refrigerator. Picnic taps, with coiled 10' beer lines, work great at 12-15psi.

They also have the advantage of only costing a few bucks each.

Sooner or later I will find the perfect freezer to build into a keezer. When that happens I will invest in a set of perlicks. Until then, picnic taps get the job done.

Back