So I lost my siphon filter...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoman

Reaction score
Somehow I managed to lose the filter cap for my auto-siphon and I had planned to bottle my stout today. Are there homemade filter caps you guys have rigged up? (I know how crafty some of you are). Should I just forget the filter for this batch, as it's a stout and clarity isn't really an issue, or would the excess yeast sediment I would vacuum up give my brew some off tastes?

I thought about using a hop bag, but figured that it would clog up too quickly to make it worthwhile.

Thanks again for your help.

I lost my cap a while back. I tried the hop bag but it clogged and was a huge pain. I just used the auto siphon without the cap for a while before finding a replacement one at my LHBS. Just be careful to not sit the auto siphon on the bottom of your carboy/bucket because it suck up a lot of trub.

Man, that was such a great game.

Er..i mean...steel wool and a stainless steel hose clamp.

I totally agree. Until the PS2 version that is. I mean until you can get a permanent replacement for the filter.

It wont clog if you make sure you tie it tight. Like a drum, wrap it around the end of your siphon and pull tight then wrap a sanitized rubber band around it

Back