Recipe help/suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmuir

Reaction score
Hello all, I am going to try a simple 1st time all grain on Sunday. This is what I found and wanted any thoughts or tweaks. It is an American Cream Ale. The grain and hops bill is as folows:

7lbs 2 row
2lbs Flaked Corn
8 oz Caraplls

Hops 2 oz Cascade with 1 oz 60 min and 1 oz last 5 min.

I want to keep at the 4.5% abv neighborhood.

This ok? nasty? could be better?

Matt

Sounds good to me. You like Cascades, right. Because they are going to really shine with the malts being so light.

Yeah, cascade can be overdone. Make sure you like an "all cascade" hop profile before you brew this up. Maybe switch up the bittering addition and just keep the cascade for flavor/aroma.

This is going to be very very bland. The cascade at 60 will give no flavor, only bitterness. The cascade at 5min will only give aroma for the most part. All of the grains and adjuncts that are in there taste basically like nothing.
If you want this to be a cream ale try adding some lactose. Even .5# honey malt will help this get some dimension.

I have no idea if I like cascade :) I have been an extract boy for the last year and just copied the list from an all grain kit from Midwest. Swmbo likes some hops but was a bmc drinker for years. She really like the extract kits, cream ales from brewers best and LHBS. Any hop schedule that would fit this background would be great.

Thanks for the help all.

Matt

Cascade tends to sit around 5% so that should be right. I've found that Hopville is completely off on the IBU's most of the time. I feel like that beer is gonna taste like nothing with a hint of citrus. That's about it.

Back