Pumpkin ale: pumpkin necessary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used two large cans of pumpkin that I baked and added to the mash. I didnt have any problems with the temps I think I missed by 1 degree so I just went with it around 154. I did however decide to double the spice and added to the last 5 minutes of boil. I moved mine to a carboy today after two weeks in the primary to age and clear a few weeks before I bottle it. Hit the gravity right on and it tastes wonderful. It is a very pretty orange and the aroma is unreal. The pumkin and the spice are very subtle even after doubling the spices. You can for sure taste the pumkin at the back end. I vote for pumpkin in pumpkin ale, I dont think it will have the mouth feel and the great color without it.

I personally believe a pumpking ales should have pumpkin it...And being a fan of them I can tell the difference between a pumpkin ale and a "pumpkin spice" ale....

Remember with real pumpkin, especially if you roast or caramelize (roast the whole, carmelize the canned) you are getting a mallard reaction AND some conversion of the starches to sugars, and fermentation from it. And I swear there is a difference in body and taste because of it.

I don't agree with the others that the contribution is minimal, I don't think they have tried as many varieties both homebrewed and commercial as I have. I'm a pumpkin ale freak. I am pretty sure now that I have tried every one available in the state of Michigan over the last few years...Hell I tired three different ones last saturday alone...and found that they all sucked, and only mixing two of them at 50/50 made for something that didn't make you wanna hurl.

I also think that priming it with brown sugar over corn or table makes a big difference as well.

I couldn't agree more. I have tried multiple Pumpkin Beers and Pumpkin Spice Beers as well, and there is a distinct difference. Mine was made with real Pumpkin and I will guarantee it is better than any "Pumpkin Spice" beer out there. Didn't use brown sugar for priming though..... next time. ;)

Decided last night that a pumkin ale or pumpkin spice ale is next on my list to brew. Would anyone mind posting their recipes as I have nothing to go by. Thanks!

+1 w/ Revvy.
Mine is just in primary right now, but there is an awesome smell and pretty orange color. The hydro sample also gave me a pumpkin mouthfeel.

I made a small 1.25 Gal batch. I split a small pie pumpkin into quarters, scooped out the seeds, added spices and roasted in oven at 350 degrees for 75 minutes until super soft and caramelized. I scooped out the meat and put 1 pound, 4 ounces in boil for last 10 minutes. It is worth it, IMO.

Well pumpkin ales still have all the spices...I just think the pumpkin is necessary for body, mouthfeel and even umami.

You are going to barely make it then buddy. I brewed last year's Pumpkin ales (the partyguile) on labor day and it wasn't ready by Halloween....I couldn't get a brew in time this year, so it's gonna be commercial for me this year.

More than likely O'fallon's from Kansas.

o_fallon_brewery_pumpkin_beer.ex9ylnx7ylw8k4ok084s4k40g.6ylu316ao144c8c4woosog48w.th.jpeg

IIRC it's the best of the lot I have tried.

You better aim for a lowish grave ale then, don't go for a porter or big ale if you want it ready in time for the ghosties and goblins.

O'fallon is right outside of St. Louis MO and not in Kansas. I live right down the street from them and their pumpkin ale is the best I have had... I love it

Back