Over-filled airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JProulx

Reaction score
My first batch is in a glass carboy. It's been in primary for about 72 hours at this point and the krausen has subsided. I had a blow-off tube originally, but I replaced it with a two-piece airlock because I needed the blow-off container.

The air-lock was filled with sanitizer up to the line. I had thought it was a line, anyways. The inside piece has raised all the way up and is touching the lid of the container. The bottom of the inside piece is still below the water level, so I feel like, logically, air won't be able to escape.

Is this over-filled? Does this sound normal? It's done the vigorous fermenting, so I'm not really able to use bubbles as an indication. I'm pretty nervous, because it would be very expensive for this carboy to explode in the room it's in.

You'll be just fine(assuming no clogging due to krausen). The air will push itself down and out because the pressure inside is greater than out. If you stare at it for just a minute you'll likely see this happen.

Huh. For some reason I thought it would need to compress the liquid to get through that way, which doesn't make sense.

Newbie panic, I guess. Thanks! There should be no krausen clogs... it's completely subsided.

Yup no worries and be thankful you remembered to add the starsan to the air lock. Heck or even to put the airlock in. No need to ask how I know these things but the beer turned out fine

Heh, I've been trying to keep my mistakes to a minimum. I've been keeping a log of every step so I'll know where I went wrong.

I've gone wrong once or twice, but thankfully the airlock won't be another issue.

Three piece airlocks always look overfilled during during CO2 release because all the liquid inside the inner piece is being forced into the outer area. Everything's fine. If you do overfill a two-piece however, you just increase the risk of suckback if there's a sudden temperature or pressure change.

Latest posts

Back