Just another great SMaSH-ESB/SIMCOE

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimBrewz

Reaction score
For those of us who love to do SMaSH beers and learn about individual ingredients, this delicious beer may tell you that Gambrinus ESB pale ale malt is the perfect compliment to the pine and passion fruit of Simcoe hops. I split the batch with 2 yeasts: Wyeast 1098(British Ale) and US-05(American ale). While the US-05 showcases the hops a bit more, the 1098 is a bit more interesting.

6 gallons:
OG at 80% 1.055 SRM 6-8 IBU 38-41 90 minute boil

11 lbs Gambrinus ESB pale ale malt -ESB Pale (3° - 4° L):
"Extra Special British" pale malt has been produced for brewers seeking a North American malt with the flavor imparted by British pale malt.

.4 oz Simcoe 13.1% AA 60 minutes
.4 oz Simcoe 13.1 % AA 30 minutes
.6 oz Simcoe 13. 1 % AA 15 minutes
.6 oz Simcoe 13.1% AA 0 minutes (steep 15 min, then chill)

So when Gambrinus is used in small amounts it tastes like honey, but when it's used as a main malt it doesn't?

Why did you boil for 90 minutes?

How long did the mash take? (I've heard Gambrinus doesn't have very much diastatic power.)

Why was the 1098 more "interesting"? ;)

So when Gambrinus is used in small amounts it tastes like honey, but when it's used as a main malt it doesn't?

Why did you boil for 90 minutes?
How long did the mash take? (I've heard Gambrinus doesn't have very much diastatic power.)

Why was the 1098 more "interesting"? ;)
I think you are referring to Gambrinus Honey Malt? Honey Malt (15° - 20° L):
This malt is similar in style to German "brumalt", but it really doesn’t compare to any other malt with its honey-like taste and residual sweetness. Best used in brown ales, porters, and stouts. I used the base Malt they call ESB, which is basically the Canadian attempt at Maris Otter. I would not call it sweet at all, more of a biscuity flavor (like Maris Otter).

I always boil for 90, it drives off DMS and some other compounds I can't remember right now.

I have used Gambrinus often(both the pale ale and ESB malts) and have never had an issue with conversion. I mashed for 60 minutes and did a starch test-no problem.

The 1098 has a bit of the "English" taste, it's got some esters and is a bit tart.

By the way, I have done this recipe with Amarillo, and it is even better in my opinion. The citrus and floral character of Amarillo is really nice with this malt.

Okay, so it's like MO. I don't think I've ever seen any Gambrinus except for the honey malt.

I don't tend to boil for 90 unless I have a specific reason to, i.e., barleywine, etc.

So the 1098 has esters, and that's probably related to fermentation temp, okay. :)

Yeah, Amarillo and Citra both make for a very pleasant SMaSH, I hear!

Back