transfer beer from large to small keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

importmonkey

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I'm deeply sorry if this isn't the proper forumn and I tried the search feature and came up with no results. So here's my questions...

Is it possible to take beer from a larger 1/2 (half) barrel (keg) and put it into a smaller 1/4 (quarter) barrel (keg)?

There are tons of options when buying beers in a half barrel, however my kegerators will only fit a quarter barrel max. Is it possible? Is it out there?

Thanks!

yes you can I do it all the time only because I still buy beer and put it on tap. what you need to do is make sure you have a way of cleaning your empty keg and then its as simple as transfering from one keg to to other when i buy a full keg 1/2 barrel I go in with 2 or 3 other guys and transfer to corny kegs. if your transfering from a 1/2 barrel to a 1/6 barrel you you'll need two sanke taps and hold pressure relief valve open until full

Thanks pope.

Would you happen to know how I can get more information on how to do this? Also, how long will the beer last once it's been transfered? And, can it be done with Guinness?

Thanks again.

Nice.

So it looks like I need two sanke taps one for the full keg and one for the empty keg. I prefill the empty with 15-20psi of CO2 through the sanke tap. Then attach the CO2 bottle to the sanke tap of the full keg. Next, I set the regulator to 15-20psi and open the full tap. In order for the transfer to work, I need to hold the release valve of the empty keg 'till the empty keg fills.

Sound right?

So I'll need...

CO2 Bottle (1)
Regulator (1)
Hose from regulator to sanke tap (1)
Sanke taps (2)
Hose from sanke tap to sanke tap (1)

Anything else?

Thanks again, pope. I'll try my luck with a cheap beer, then move on to Guinness.

Cheers!

Back