Thermometer ( Keggle )

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many think that a thermo in the kettle is not really necessary but if it will ever double as a hot liquor tank, you'll want it. The 6" will interfere with stirring a little bit (have a 6"). The two inch one is better in that respect but you'll have to stir well before it reads the average temp in the kettle. I'd go 2".

I assume that you're using an immersion chiller, otherwise, I agree with Bobby_M, that you don't need a thermometer in your kettle.

If you're using an immersion chiller, then I'd go with the shorter one so your IC doesn't get caught up on it. I assume that if your IC is touching the thermometer probe, that it make it read lower than the temp of the wort.

I chose to put a 2.5" probe in my HLT for the same reason, just with a HERMS coil, instead of an IC.

Bobby_M said:
You know what, no matter how long the probe is, you still have to stir to get an accurate reading. No reason to obstruct the center of the kettle with a longer one.

Exactly, and if you're using an IC, you should be stirring anyway!

Back