Yuengling Clone fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elgee

Reaction score
I recently got a Yuengling clone kit (extract) and don't have the temp control options nor do I want to baby a cooler full of ice 2 times a day. Anyone ever use White Labs 001 around 68 for a lager? Will it taste more like an ale? What if I ferment it at 68 for 3-4 weeks at that temp?

I find Yuengling very fruity-tasting for a lager anyway, so WLP001 could work.
I'd also consider using WLP810 (San Francisco Lager), which can work into the low to mid-60s.

Don't think I'll be able to get much below 68, so that may be pushing 810

A kolsch strain is another option, followed by "lagering" in the fridge after bottling. I haven't experimented with that method before, but I've seen other users on here approximate lagers that way.

Wyeast 2112 is what I used when I did a yeungling like recipe...worked well.

According to Wyeast, it can be tolerated up to 68, but what happens if I ferment closer to 70, what off flavors for the clone I'm making will be present and will they ruin the style?

Can't answer that as I try to ferment on the cooler end of the yeasts range - if I can. The times I've used 2112 I think I've been in the 55 to 65°f range... Presently wrapping up a batch that I did in the low 60s - using a "swamp cooler" when the basement was reaching upper 70s/low 80s during the afternoon....I'd think it would still be cleaner tasting than a typical ale yeast at the same temp?? Still probably your best bet in getting that lagger like clean taste at a warmer temp.....should certainly be better than doing an ale yeast at the top of the temp range and hoping to get a clean taste

Back