Hydrometer Reading Only Two Days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DizzyPants

Reaction score
I brewed a light wheat on Sunday and I thought it went well. The next morning I went to check on it and the airlock was going crazy. Took the OG as 1.060, I thought that was a bit high.

Today the airlock has slowed down to about zero. I decided to pull some out of the spigot for the hydrometer. The color looks good and the hydrometer read 1.012.

Could that mean this would have a potential ABV of 6.7% according to the hydrometer guide? Am I reading that right?

I tasted it and it was nice...only after two days.

Don't worry I plan on doing the 1-2-3 rule at the least and look forward to this brew in a glass late next month.

Any comments?

Thanks for looking.

I believe that would be about 6.2% ABV if my calculation is correct. What was the recipe?

Thanks for the reply. It was the choice of four prepared basic recipes from the LHBS. I chose the Light Wheat.

I couldn't tell you the exact stuff other than I just knew (read) the instructions. Steep the grains, add to the kettle, heat the malt liquid extract to make it easier to pour, toss 1 3/4 oz of the pellet hops in, boil 55 mins and toss in the finishing hops, cool, add dry yeast (prepared) and put it in the fermentor and let the work begin.

I think the hops were Tettnanger hops. They smelled great.

This beer has a long way to go, but I am happy with the first try.

As soon as I get it out of the primary.....another baby will be born.

Thanks for your interest and help.

6.28 sounds a bit high for a wheat kit. Check your instructions and see what they say the OG should have been. If you followed the recipe in the kit, and mixed the right amount of top off water, you OG should be what the kit says. Good chance you didn't have the wort mixed completely when you took the OG.

Back