Beginner's Guide to Easily Reusing Yeast and Storing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MellowToad

Reaction score
From the way that I understand what I've read on the forums, that it's possible to siphon off about 12 - 32 ounces of trub and use it again in a 5 gallon batch. I've got a couple questions about this.

First off, is the 12 - 32 ounces accurate and efficient?

I plan on using about 18 ounces, would it be ok to use a 20 ounce sterilized pop bottle?

In my mind, I see myself sterlizing the bottle, then siphoning the trub into it. Probably lightly capping it, then putting it in the firdge.

Is this correct? Or do I need to put any kind of nutrient in the bottle or do I need to not cap it or cap it some other way?

Once in the fridge, how long would it last? Once I take it out and let it set to room temp, do I need to create a starter, or just pour it on top of my cooled wart?

Any other tips or tricks I need to know or worry about? Thanks much.

Do a search for the yeast washing thread as well as the freezing yeast cultures...also search for "Yeast slants" as well... there's plenty of great threads on that topic.

ALso the thread called "pacman yeast video" too.

Latest posts

Back