n00b Question on fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ive been surfing this site (and others) and one thing I have never found. how do you KNOW when you beer is done fermenting? I followed the directions in Palmers book (but with a stout) and it tasted like ass! I took it to a friend who is a very experienced brewer and he said it wasn't completely fermented. so how do you KNOW?

Just about anything that you brew will complete almost all of its fermentation within 7-10 days, but the only way to know for sure (as already stated) is by taking a sample to get a gravity reading using a hydrometer.

If your gravity is at your target finished gravity, then go to your next step. Some will recommend taking multiple gravity readings on consecutive days to ensure that fermentation is done. While this is a good practice, I've found that it's not necessary (for me) for most average gravity beers.

Big beers are an exception, but most of the time I just rack to secondary after 7-10 days and take a reading then.

ohiobrewtus said:
Just about anything that you brew will complete almost all of its fermentation within 7-10 days, but the only way to know for sure (as already stated) is by taking a sample to get a gravity reading using a hydrometer.

If your gravity is at your target finished gravity, then go to your next step. Some will recommend taking multiple gravity readings on consecutive days to ensure that fermentation is done. While this is a good practice, I've found that it's not necessary (for me) for most average gravity beers.

Big beers are an exception, but most of the time I just rack to secondary after 7-10 days and take a reading then.

Ok, thanks!

Second question, how do you know what your target gravity is? whats a big beer?

Right- it's an educated guess based on what your ingredients are. With some experience, it comes pretty naturally. Untill you have more experience, though, dont' be afraid to ask for help.

One of the things that helped me was posting a possible recipe on this forum, and asking for some ideas and help. I also did a ton of reading (Humbug's links are great) to learn about the various ingredients and what they did. I'm still learning so much but feel more comfortable with calling a beer "done".

Another important thing to remember is that even if a beer is technically finished fermenting, it's not very good for at least 3 weeks or so and then it improves. So, even though something is just "meh" today, it might be really good in a few weeks. And each batch you make gets better, I promise!

Bah Humbug said:
It sound like you'd benefit from looking at www.howtobrew.com or looking through the wiki.

A big beer is generally anything over 1050 and target gravity is a factor of fermentables and mash temperature/fermentability.

Yeah, I have that book, it confused me more than anything, I think the big problem with my first batch, is it says after 2 weeks its done, and apparently its not necessarily true.

I have picked up a pretty good amount since I read through that 2 months ago., maybe its time to revisit what he has to say and see if it makes any sense ot me now.

does everyone use a turkey baster to get the beer out of the carboy, for hydrometer readings? :fro:

YooperBrew said:
Right- it's an educated guess based on what your ingredients are. With some experience, it comes pretty naturally. Untill you have more experience, though, dont' be afraid to ask for help.

One of the things that helped me was posting a possible recipe on this forum, and asking for some ideas and help. I also did a ton of reading (Humbug's links are great) to learn about the various ingredients and what they did. I'm still learning so much but feel more comfortable with calling a beer "done".

Another important thing to remember is that even if a beer is technically finished fermenting, it's not very good for at least 3 weeks or so and then it improves. So, even though something is just "meh" today, it might be really good in a few weeks. And each batch you make gets better, I promise!

thanks!

Right now Im brewing the Apfelwin, and its bubbling away...... I guess Ill check and see what the gravity is!

Yes, I use a sanitized turkey baster for all my sg samples. You can buy a wine theif, but the baster works fine!

Each time you reread How to Brew, you learn a little more, I think. I got the book for Christmas last year and still refer to it all the time. It makes more sense now than last year, that's for sure!

It also depends on what parts of it you read. If you are not doing AG skip the section and all section about mashing etc.

Read the basic sections perhaps it will be clearer now.

One thing to remember as with most things there isn't one way that works for everything. Bigger beer = more time.

Latest posts

Back