recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerAg

Reaction score
I was looking for a very light English summer Pale Ale. I am modeling after Real Ale's "Rio Blanco" Pale Ale

Malt:
9 lbs 2-row
1 lbs carapils
1 lbs vienna

Hops:
Saaz 4%:
1 oz 60 mins
1 oz 15 mins

Yeast:
Wyeast 1098

OG: 1.051 (65% eff)
22 IBU
5% ABV
Color: 4.3

Sounds reasonable?

Comments?

it's kinda heavy on the alcohol and light on the hops for an English Pale, which sounds mighty tasty to me! :)

I don't think the saaz really fits, either, but i love the stuff so I say go for it

:mug:

if you want to check out the styles, check out the BJCP guidelines here:
http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/

Check out the recipes on the boards too. and tons of recipes here:
http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipes

Nothing wrong with higher abv :drunk: , but I agree with DB - maybe some EKG or fuggles at 60 and .5 oz at 5 min for aroma?

How full-bodied do you want it? A pound is a fairly high amount of carapils. I'd be inclined to do the grain bill with a British pale malt, mash a little higher if you want it fuller-bodied, then add a modest amount of a low crystal (maybe 20L). The Vienna isn't common for an English beer, but should make a nice addition.

I agree, too, that EKG/Fuggles are classic for this type of beer.

That sounds like a nice beer, if a bit high on the OG for something I think of as "very light" and for Summer. I might consider knocking off a pound of the 2-row to make it a little more of a session beer and to bring the balance a little more back to the hops, but that's totally a matter of personal taste..

That carapils will make for some body, but I bet it's nice. It will not be a crisp beer, though. And, like the others said, it's not an English Pale Ale. I still like the sound of it, and I'd drink it right up.

TL

So, it's not supposed to be an Eglish Pale Ale, but an English style summer ale or a "Golden Ale".

I like the idea of going with english pale malt instead of 2-row, but I'm pretty stuck on the saaz as of right now.

I'm looking for a beer my BMC buds will drink, but kind of want that big, long lasting head like english beer, however, so I thought that the carapils might help.

World Beer Cup description:
"English-Style Summer Ale
English Summer Ale is light straw to golden colored with medium-low to medium bitterness, light to medium-light body, and low to medium residual malt sweetness. Torrefied and/or malted wheat are often used in quantities of 25% or less. Malt flavor may be biscuit-like. English, American or Noble-type hop, character, flavor and aroma are evident and may or may not be assertive yet always well balanced with malt character... The overall impression is refreshing and thirst quenching."

I'll just call it "beer"

However, I'd like to call it "beer, with a thick, foamy head"

Will the carapils take care of that for me? Is there anything else I could do kind of accentuate that without making the beer darker?

Mash High, use a little torrifed wheat.
One of the problems is going light and wanting good head is possible chill haxze.
I don't drink chilled so do not suffer that.

* The use of body and head enhancing malts such as crystal, wheat, or carafoam
* The altering of the mash schedule to enhance head retaining proteins
* The use of heading agents - additives that enhance head retention
* Addition of high alpha hops - which will increase bitterness, but also increas isohumulones that enhance head retention
* Limiting the use of household soaps on drinking glasses and homebrew equipment
* The use of a nitrogen and CO2 mix for carbonation and serving
* The shape of the glass used to serve the beer

i think it will be a very good beer that your BMC friends will enjoy (and if not, more for you!) but yeah, they might be more inclined to drink it if the alcohol dropped a bit and the carapils dropped a half pound or so. that is sound advice.

screw style, this beer sounds great. no matter what, send me a bottle! ;)

Back