My attempt at the Irish Red...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spencecore24

Reaction score
Marris Otter Pale – 5 lbs.
American Caramel 60 – 6 oz.
American Caramel 120 – 6 oz.
Roasted Barley – 2 oz.
Crystal 40 – 3 oz.

Hops:
Cascade – 1 oz. 60 Minutes
Goldings - .5 oz. 30 Minutes
Goldings - .5 oz 5 Minutes

Mash – 2.25 @ 152
Sparge – 3 gallons @ 170

Boil = 75 mins

Yeast:
Irish Ale Yeast

I came up with this off the top of my head. This was the second brew i attempted to make. its in the secondary now and is not very red lol. Its okay though its still beer. haha

When I make a red ale, I use about 3 ounces of roasted barley, but don't mash it. Instead, I add it when I sparge, after the mash. It gives color without a lot of the roasted flavor.

Here's the last batch of red that I did Red-Ale

I'm going to brew another batch this week, but am going to use a different recipe, with some Munich in it, but not a Munich-based recipe like this one.

My experience with Red Ales is that they look darker in the fermenter, and it's not until they're in the glass that they take on the reddish hue. The roasted barley should give it a red tinge. the C120 may make it a bit darker though.

I think anywhere from 2-4 oz of Roasted Barley is fine in an Irish Red, depending on how roasty you like it. And, if you don't like it right off, wait 2-4 months. The roasted barley will blend in better during that timeframe.

I also think you could reduce the Crystal malts down to 1/2 or 3/4lb total. Maybe 6oz Crystal 40 or 60, and 6oz Cara-Red. Then, add in flaked barley instead, to reach the same OG. I like the extra feel that the flaked barley gives it.

Maybe try brewing the same recipe with English Ale yeast and see which you like better, too!

All in all, i think your recipe looks just fine, and it should turn out pretty tasty!

Thanks for the tips guys! this is only a 3 gallon recipe. I will be bottling this weekend. I feel like i should use some Irish Moss next time as well. Clear it up a little.

I'm listening to Randy Mosher on the latest BeerSmith podcast. He said use crystal 80 for a reds.

Latest posts

Back