Electric Timing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jared311

Reaction score
I am currently designing my HERMS setup and have a bunch of questions on electric heating elements.

1) What electric heating element are you using and what voltage are you running it at?

2) How much water do you use in your HLT and how long would it take you to heat it up to around 175-180F?

3) How long would it take you to bring your wort to a rolling boil?

Jared311 said:
I am currently designing my HERMS setup and have a bunch of questions on electric heating elements.

1) What electric heating element are you using and what voltage are you running it at?

2) How much water do you use in your HLT and how long would it take you to heat it up to around 175-180F?

3) How long would it take you to bring your wort to a rolling boil?

I have an electric HLT with a 3500 watt hot water heater element. You can read about it here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=39422

It probably takes about an hour to bring the entire 15 gallons to around 177 degrees - haven't ever timed exactly.

Hope this helps, JB

Jared311 said:
Thanks! That's exactly what I was searching for.

So they sell Yuengling down in Georgia?

Sorry, missed this... Yuengling has a brewery in FL but can't sell in GA just yet - but those kegs came from PedalBiker here on the forums who lives in PA (I think).

Back