Fermentis yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capa

Reaction score
So I just brewed an Oatmeal Milk Stout and was pretty stoked when I tasted the wort prior to dumping it into the primary. Anyhow, my question is this:
I used Wyeast London Ale yeast that came in the Activator pack but I think it went bad before I got it because it didn't swell up all that much prior to pitching and then it didn't do anything in the first 24 hours of primary. The yeast selection in Japan is pretty poor and all I was able to get my hands on was Fermentis ale yeast. Has anyone used Fermentis before? If so, what type of flavors should I be expecting out of it? Also, will the wyeast yeast add any off flavors to my stout?

Besides all that, it felt GREAT to brew again and be back on HBT! :ban:

Yes, I pitched both. I pitched the wyeast originally because since i had never used the wyeast activator I didn't realize that I must have gotten a bad pack (or it had "activated" during shipping). After it did nothing, and nothing, and nothing, I decided to pitch the Fermentis. The Fermetis is the dry ale yeast called Safale S-04.

Hm, I guess I jumped the gun. I'm used to a quicker start than that so it had me worried, good to know in the future.

Thanks for the link of topics concerning the yeast. I wonder wahy I couldn't find anything when I did my search. Oh well. I really appreciate the help and the posts have done a pretty good job at easing my tension!

Fermentis makes a good product. I use S-04 and SA-05 regularly. The 05 is a clean american strain that attenuates well, but doesen't flocc well without a lot of time. S-04 produces mild esters, has lower attenuation than 05, and floccs well.

Back